Yamaha TF5 as an audio interface

Hi, Roger.

I run Windows and don’t have any familiarity with the Mac environment so I can’t speak directly to Mac OS. That said, for Windows I did have to install the Yamaha USB driver. I only see a Windows version on their download page but since they do have Mac versions of the other software perhaps Mac OS natively supports something that Windows doesn’t. I would, however, recommend downloading the latest firmware if you haven’t already. I’ve included a link to the Yamaha TF download page below.

I also highly recommend installing the TF Editor software. While you can do everything on the mixer itself, this emulates the mixer and syncs settings back and forth. It’s not only useful for backing up your mixer, I find tasks like naming and configuring 32 tracks are much faster and easier with a keyboard and mouse.

They have two mobile apps that are also worth installing on your phones / pads. One is a TF remote mixer that enables most of the mixer control from an iPad. The other app is Monitor Mix. This lets your musicians install it on their phones and have direct control over their monitor mixes, assuming you set up the busses on the mixer for IEMs or wedges.

Both the native software (TF Editor) and the iGizmo apps, which may also support Android, are very nicely done. Stable, good UI design and a joy to use. For what it’s worth, I pay the bills as a software developer and tend to be more critical than most. Yamaha has done a very nice job of software development, which is unusual for a hardware company.

Assuming you don’t need USB drivers on the Mac, Cubase will see the Yamaha as 34 ins / outs. I’ve tested recording 32 tracks at once and had no problems with dropouts or stability. Playback was equally seamless.

Here’s the Yamaha page. Hope this helps, man. It’s a really nice mixing environment.

1 Like