UR44 Low Input Gain

cloud lifter is what you need for dynamic and ribon mics,also fiio q1 headphone amp if you use headphones,little bit of double side tape and voila,professional stuff

Hi Spiritus,

Thank you for your answer.

I already talked with Steinberg. I sent two audio files recorded with my UR44 and they concluded it’s a faulty device. They recommended me to return back the device to be replaced.

Anyhow, as you said this forum is dead. Only if I got success solving this I will return to feedback in this forum. Meanwhile, if you want to follow my issue and if replacing the UR44 is a solution you can contact me to my private e-mail: caldini79@gmail.com

Cheers,

There is a software workaround to semi-solve the problem until they release a firmware update (if they ever do…).

1.Insert the Channel Strip on Input 1.
2.Turn on the EQ module.
2.Add 6dB to the TOTAL GAIN and keep the eq flat.
3.Save the EQ preset.
4.Add and turn on the Channel Strip selecting the EQ preset on every preamp input.
5.Save the configuration.
6.Remember to save it as INS.FX so you can track the extra dB.

Hope this helps.

Very interesting you have such an “elaborate” setup for the +6db gain. Could you explain? I contacted Steinberg support regarding the +6db and how this relates to the theoretical maximum input gain (as just adding +6db on a channel or master distorts) but after numerous e-mails I still don’t have a proper answer and have given up(support knowhow is ridiculous!).

Is this setup meant to prevent distortion/clipping, correct? And also does this mean you can use other DSP fx on other channels or just the channel strip?

If you insert the channel strip the way I explained you can lower the preamp gain a wee bit so you get less noise from them. It’s like having a 6dB boost on the preamps :wink: (digitally though)
I just use the channel strip on the preamp inputs and to monitor reverb while tracking.
Then I use normal CPU based plugins afterwards.

I see. Will try soon but I just realize in a way it’s the same (digitally) as my workaround now where I use clip gain on my recorded tracks. So you do before what I do afterwards. Still, am curious about the soundquality so will def give it a shot!

My question concerns the exact configuration fuzzydude used to produce the lovely acoustic youtube video. Did he have 2 Shure 57s set up in an XY pattern, both plugged into Triton Fetheads and TK Audio DP1s? I can easily afford 2 Fetheads, but not sure about the expensive TK Audio DP1s so if that’s crucial, any cheaper alternative that might also do the trick would be appreciated. I’m fairly new to recording. What led me to this excellent discussion is a desire to record using M/S technique w my UR44 and a Cascade Fathead BE (side) and Share 57 (mid). Was sad to find that banjo and fiddle need to be sitting close (e.g. 6" away max) and the UR44 gain turned all the way up, and still nowhere near clipping level was observed

Hi @bthom, they were all condenser mics. 2 x AKG SE300B (CK1 capsules) in XY config and a CAD M179 and a Rode NT2-A in MS config. No Fetheads or my TK Audio DP1 were used. The whole purpose of the recording was to show what’s possible with a relatively cheap hardware setup and appropriate settings using the UR44 with just stock plugins to record and mix a live ensemble. Setup was a major part of the demo as the location was less than ideal.

With 57’s you’d absolutely need Fetheads or similar, or a good mic pre with at least 30 plus db of quiet gain. Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Note: I should’ve watched the YouTube video all the way until the end, when fuzzydude lists his setup. My bad. Meanwhile, a recording friend and I went back to the UR44 and Shure / Fathead recording arrangement and therein, verified that the UR44 has a lot of preamp noise when you turn the input gain up above about 50% (which fuzzydude also reports on in this forum subject). I’ve had other problems with my UR44 too (occasionally when the output knob is turned all the way down to zero, minute levels of output are still heard out of the monitors its feeding). In all, my friend, who had originally recommended the device to me, was sad to see how weak the UR44 preamps were. We looked all over the internet and manual to try and find out what their specs are (so I could compare them with other options). For the price of the 2 Tritons I’d have to buy to boost the gain for the UR44, I’m better off buying a better D/A. Bye bye UR44, you were my friend for awhile, but I’ve been disappointed on more than one occasion w your performance.

Hey,

Hoping to get some answers here but this forum looks pretty dead…

I just got a Rode NT2-A microphone and it sounds SUPER quiet through my UR44. I tried inputs 1-4, phantom power is on, and the gain is maxed. I recorded into my DAW and it sounds like I am whispering; -40db with my face in the microphone. I tried two different XLR cables but that made no difference. I then connected the mic to my preamp and ran that into the interface. Still ridiculously quiet… The only way I got it loud was to max gain and max output on the preamp, then put the UR44’s input gain to around 75%. Doing that caused awful hiss and background noise, but I could be heard.

Is this a problem with the UR44 or with my microphone? I have recorded DI guitar with this interface and it had no problem with the levels. I also recorded vocals with an SM57. I had to have input gain maxed with that microphone too, but it was slightly louder than the Rode.

Hi, are you monitoring through the DAW or Direct Monitoring?

Also, add your specs, comp, OS, DAW inc version to your profile signature so we can better ascertain how and who best to assist :slight_smile:

Both. I listened to the microphone levels through my DAW, Reaper, and I listened back through Windows sound settings and the voice app Discord.

I am running Windows 10 Pro on an i5-4670k with 8 GB and my DAW is Reaper 5.8.

I’ve never run into this problem but I have a UR44 in the cupboard. I’ll hook it up and run some tests too if I can replicate. Can you post a screen shot of your settings in the Steinberg dspMixFX app?

Can you check to see if you have insert fx insert activated in dspMixFX and check to see if the input level is has been turned down. See attached. It’s on Mac here but its the same on Windows.
insert-fx.jpg

With the correct settings in dspmixfx I have no issues with levels. What you can expect with the Rode is with the input at 50% (wouldn’t suggest any higher re noise floor issues) and dspmixfx either set to the default shown or switched off, you should not have any issues monitoring through your headphones, assuming your headphones are of the correct impedance for the UR44.

Hoe this helps.

Steve

I have never used dspMixFX. I didn’t even know it was installed. Must have came with the drivers. I did not have any FX turned on and all the volume levels are the same as yours.

Sadly, it may be that you have a faulty unit. But since you noted you were unaware of the dspmixfx app, I wonder if there may be something else in your setup which isn’t quite right. In order to assist further I would need you to outline your entire setup verifying all physical connections and routing within your DAW (Reaper) and provide screenshots so it can be verified. I also asked about your headphones. Please let us know the make and model.

Here is dspMixFX. I highlighted input 2 where the mic is connected in to. My preamp is on with gain and output at 12 o’clock and the UR44 line 2 input is maxed. As you can see the volume meter is very low. That’s with my face right in the microphone.

Here is REAPER. I recorded the first three without a preamp. Inputs 2, 3, and 4. Then I recorded with a new cable. Then I recorded one with the preamp.

Imgur

For headphones I am using Sennheiser HD 598’s.

Let me know if you need anything else. Appreciate the help.

Sorry to bump the thread, but it has been over 3 months since the last reply.

Am I to assume my unit is defective? It works great for recording instruments DI, but forget about vocals with a condenser microphone. There is no way that having the microphone literally touching your mouth, so you can be heard, is normal…

If there is anything else I can try to resolve this issue please post your suggestions! Otherwise I am going to sell this interface and look for something else.

It does not help you, but I wanted to let you know that I have the latest UR816C and also the RODE NT2A and it has more than enough output into the URC.
My preamp gain on the unit itself is about 75% and the recording level is perfect in Cubase.

I wasn’t following this thread.

1. Try monitoring through the dspmixfx app when your DAW is not loaded and you’ve got headphones plugged in to listen. With the input knob at 50% and with you speaking normally (approx 4-6 inches from the mic let me know if the input level gets anywhere near halfway.

2. Try a different mic cable.

3. Are you sure the mic isn’t faulty.

• Are you able to try another mic
  • or test it in another interface?

If none of the above prove fruitful, then I’d suggest the whole input section on your unit is faulty.