Halion Sonic 2 SE bypass inserts on particular programs

First, it’s OK to use independent Instrument Tracks, each with fresh SE instances if you like, even though SE can be a multi timberal/channel plugin. It might increase the load time of a project by a small amount, but from there you should find it is quite tidy and efficient…so no problem having lots of instances of SE in a project.

None the less, If you want to use slot effects in the Cubase Mixer as described in your OP, then split off another set of outputs in SE.

1. Activate a new output in your SE Instance. You’ll get a new fader for the output in your Cubase Mixer, where you can assign VST plugins to slots.

2. Change your instrument(s) in SE to use the new output(s).

Now you should see that there is a new fader on your DAW’s Mixing console, where the DAW may manage any chain of VST plugin effects you like. In Cubase, you can rename the faders, and rearrange track order if it helps keep track of things. It might also be helpful to arrange things so that your MIDI tracks are above instrument tracks in track order (Instrument tracks last, so its ‘audio fader’ will come after all your ‘MIDI’ faders).

Alternatively, you can often apply effects directly from inside SE itself (This will not include third party VST plugins however). That’s done through the “Effects” tab in the SE interface.

Another option is setting up Halion SE in ‘rack mode’ with multiple outputs, and using two MIDI tracks. One advantage to this method is that MIDI tracks offer some interesting possibilities that Instrument tracks do not (AUX MIDI sends, and independent faders for MIDI and Audio streams).

In contrast, Instrument tracks offer some advantages that MIDI tracks to not, such as the ability to export such tracks as ‘MIDIloops’, which can be instantly auditioned in your MediaBay without having to load it all into a project first.

For me, I use these criteria to determine if Individual Instrument Tracks, with independent Halion Instances, or MIDI Tracks with a single Rack Mode Instance of Halion is better for a given workflow.

1. Do I want to export tracks as MIDI loops, perhaps to use as content in future projects. If so, I’ll use Instrument tracks. Even if I use some MIDI tracks along side this for muti-channel effects, I’ll usually eventually merge the tracks into one with channel set to ‘any’ so I can save it as a midiloop (it can be extracted back into separate tracks in future projects if desired). Note that with Instrument tracks, the fader on the Cubase Mixing console controls the actual stream volume/balance/etc, instead of sending MIDI events to the plugin for internal adjustments.

2. Do I want MIDI Volume faders to be independent of the actual Audio Master fader of a given VSTi plugin, and do I want to take advantage of MIDI AUX MIDI sends (I.E. Drive more than one Plugin/MIDI channel from the same track at the same time). If so, I’ll opt for Rack Instruments and MIDI tracks.

If you work with loops a lot…Instrument tracks. Instrument tracks are also great for simple song writing projects (A few instruments and some audio vocal tracks).

If it’s more a through composed workflow demanding lots of VSTi instruments with maximum control and more workflow options, load SE in rack mode, and talk to it with MIDI tracks. Split off new audio outputs when you want to use the DAW FX chain instead of those built into SE.