Official 3rd Party Plugin Issue Thread

Whilst this seems to be true, I think it should also be acknowledged that … when compared to other highly specialized mastering only DAWs (like Sonic, Sadie or even Sequoia for example) … it is difficult to maintain an argument that WL is “worse” than any of these and in fact you could make a convincing argument that it could even be probably “better” in terms of its plug in functionality.

Apples with apples and these frustrations could be a function of the fact that not many people actually buy a mastering specific DAW … it’s a pretty small sector.

But that doesn’t mean that a comparison with market leading DAWs such as those listed is not valid or useful. It is.

Apologies if this is straying off topic and I’m happy to delete this post if it is.

DMG Equilibrium

In VST 2 or 3 the plug initially displays it’s configuration screen when opening WL with saved master section plugs.

If you move the display with the mouse slightly and click, this changes to display the EQ GUI as you would expect. It retains and displays all of the correct, saved settings.

The same behavior occurs if you load a master section from the preset menu.

I use this plug practically every session (meaning every day) and I don’t remember this occurring with its previous version/revision.

This leads me to conclude it’s probably not a WL bug as such.

Equilibrium is typically loaded first or second (after a WL gain plug) in the master section and usually in M/S mode set to highest quality in the universe.

It’s been suggested to me that this behavior may not occur on a 64 bit system.

Otherwise, the plug behaves exactly as it should. It is such a minor inconvenience that I have never got around to emailing DMG.

Windows 7 professional 32 bit.

From Jesus Tossas who is having issues logging into this forum:

“I have Wavelab V 9.0.35 Macbook pro Sierra Version 10.12.2. I purchased A.O.M Invisible Limiter V2 in VST2. I use it on the master section and I experience the magnetic mouse effect. With other DAWs I have works fine. Thanks to whoever can post this on that thread.”

Nugen plugins sometimes work on 9.0.35 for the Mac and the PC. Sometimes they don’t. Never could get it to be repeatable. It seem to be completely random whether they run or choose not to.

Window 7 Pro on a very fast “gaming” computer i5 Processor 20 gigs of memory and all SSD drives. OS El Capitan on a fully loaded Mac Pro computer 20 gigs of memory and all SSD drives.

I forgot about NUGEN. I had some serious problems with them. Anything from opening a NUGEN GUI crashing WaveLab, to ISL2 rendering or recalling in it’s default state instead of the way I had it set.

I think some of that was resolved and if you open an old session with the updated version of ISL2, it gives you a warning that it couldn’t recall the old settings.

I’ll have to make sure I have the latest NUGEN updates installed and try again but NUGEN was basically unusable in the recent past.

I get that message, but only with the VST3 5.1 Premium Air, and only if I insert it with a Stereo montage, or with a 5.1 montage before the Master Section is initialized 5.1 (before playing a 5.1 montage). So basically it works as I would expect in Wavelab, since the Master Section only turns into multichannel when you play a multichannel montage, I would expect to need to do that before inserting the plugin.

But strangely here, the VST2 5.1 Air doesn’t seem to care whether the montage and master section are Stereo or 5.1, I get no error messages at all with the VST2 5.1 Air. (but my VST2 5.1 is not called “Premium”, only the VST3 is.)

Testing this on Windows.

So … all these efforts and discussion started by us, the users, and no beep from PG or a Steinberg official about these problems here. Thank you.

and no beep from PG or a Steinberg official about these problems here

Silence does not mean we’re not reading. Actually, there is the plan to make a table about the different cases, as an internal reference to track.

If I am not wrong, I note, however, that there is no problem reported for the 3 biggest plugin players: Waves, UAD and Steinberg.

Thank you for this info. No problems with Waves in WL9 as far as I can tell. I also have UAD plug ins, but I use them more within Nuendo and Cubase, if at all, and therefore don’t know if there are problems with them regarding WL.

I use UAD a lot in WaveLab and can’t think of any issues, though UAD is still VST2 only which I think developers have an easier time with. What’s interesting is that UAD doesn’t officially support WaveLab but they appear to be very stable.

I don’t use Waves very often in WaveLab anymore. The last issue I remember which I believe is resolved was the disappearing cursor.

I also rarely use a Steinberg plugin.

We need to find a way that some of the mid-level developers such as FabFilter, DMG, Plugin Alliance etc are more stable in WaveLab, as well as the smaller or less popular developers.

I don’t use any plugins from any of those software vendors. Are you saying that these are the only ones that people should use with WL?

I think it is time to get this plug-in problem solved once and for all. This has been going on way too long. WL should work with a majority of plug-ins not just those from the three suppliers you mentioned.

FWIW

Slate Digital - Virtual Mix Rack VST2 & VST3 on OS X 10.11.6. Used in the Master Section. I saved it in a mastering preset, but when you close WL9 and re-open it, Virtual Mix Rack has a blank GUI. If I just try to reload it, WL crashes. I have to remove the plug in, then reload it. After that, it works just fine.

DMG Dualism - WL9 crash each time removing it from the master section
Nugen Stereoizer - the same.

P.S.
I’m using lots of DMG, Flux, TDR, FabFilter, iZotope, Plugin Alliance and Sonnox.
Sometimes Melda, Metric Halo, Exponential Audio, Zynaptiq, and some more ‘exotic’ ones.
But no UAD plugins, no Steinberg and nearly no Waves.
The way more interesting stuff for me is made by the smaller developers, that’s where I need stability.

With DMG, try running the VST 2 versions. Generally much more “stable”.

Here’s a nice obscure one…

Using the very old 32-bit VVMicVST with a jBridge 64-bit wrapper in the master section of a four-channel DVD montage. It works just fine, and can be added and removed. However, when I closed WaveLab with it in place, attempting to open WaveLab again led to a solid hang - I had to remove the file from my disk to get back working.

I’ve not mentioned this to the developer, as he has little time and is putting what resources he has into a completely new 64-bit version - but this may be months or even years away.

Paul

Another issue:

WaveLab crashes while removing FabFilter Q2 plug-in from master section…
It does not happen often, but when, I have to delete preferences if I want to use WL…

Any solution?

This is about the AOM invisble limiter G2.

I recently bought this plugin, and I have it running on win10x64 with the 64bit version of WL and the pluginn itself.
When you click the bypass button in the masterscetion, or on the pluginn itself, it should bypass, but it doesn’t. :astonished:
You hear the ‘click’ of audio bypassing because of the latency popping in, but audio is still processed… When I click the bypass in the pluginn itself, it’s bypassed. Really strange… and annoying. Is this Wavelab, AOM or a combination of both?

EDIT: just found out that it;s not the case with the vst2 version, just vst3.
EDIT2: just found out that when I insert an instance of teh AOM G2 vst2 and I press play, it hangs for a couple of seconds and after that, it starts playing audio and works fine. So just first play, 100% reproducable.

Tekturon D16: Crash WL 9.0.35 during internet activation, very sluggish GUI, only VST 2 - practically unusable …
OSX 10.11.6, WL9Pro (9.0.35), Master Section

Sonnox Dynamics VST3 don’t work in WaveLab 9.0.35. VST2 version work.