Why no link to pdf manual in Help menu?

Doesn’t here still opens the web link.
I will have a look tomorrow if there is something missing on my end.

Yes the main program menu “Help → Cubase Help”
will open the online Help page.

The fix I posted earlier corrects only the “F1” key problem and launches the Operation Manual PDF.

Thanks guys…

I’d already downloaded the manual a few days ago and am about 200 pages in…lol

So I just put a shortcut to in on my desktop for now…

Cheers

@fretthefret thank you! that was exactly what I needed. so bummed the manual wasn’t there,

@fretthefret: thank you too!

But: to go more and more into the cloud with licensing (NI Access for example),
online help (Steinberg, Spectrasonics, …), Photoshop CC etc. etc. is the wrong way.
I want to keep my DAW working so it is not connected to the internet!
It’s more safe too.

The F1 key still opens the online help and not the files unzipped in the documetation folder

Same here :frowning:

With Cubase 9.0.1 after I downloaded the PDF file F1 did open it. But since updating to 9.0.10 F1 now opens the online help and not the PDF. I double checked and the PDF is in the correct location. There must be some other variable at play if this works for some folks but not others.

:frowning: :angry: :cry: :frowning: :angry: :cry: :frowning: :angry: :cry: :frowning: :angry: :cry: :frowning: :angry: :cry: :frowning: :angry: :cry:

Has anyone on 9.0.10 said F1 brought up the pdf?

Yes:

His sig says 9.0.1. Why do you believe he is on 9.0.10?

Thanks for unintentionally reminding me to update my sig. :blush:

Because I glanced at it too quickly and thought it said “.10.” My mistake.

OK, thanks.

I wonder if anyone on 9.0.10 can actually open the .pdf with F1 …

After I updated F1 pointed to the fact that it was trying to find the documentation on the computer (Mac)…I downloaded and created a folder inside the app for the doc, inserted the docs and now it opens on the Web instead !!!

Me too: With 9.0.01 F1 opens the PDF file, with 9.0.10 F1 opens the online help. Thnx for the bugfix Steinberg :wink:

I would like:

1: Two options in the Help-menu: “Open online help” and “Open documentation”
2: In Preferences the choice "F1 opens… (online help or the documentation)

I’m also on 9.0.10. F1 points to the on-line help only. I have the manual loaded in the proper documents file… :smiling_imp:

Thanks, Lars!

Just went to RTFM and found there was no FM to R, so you saved me hunting it down. Much appreciated.

I can’t understand why Steinberg haven’t provided a quick fix for this - I’m not a programmer but this seems easy to do :laughing: :laughing:

As a professional programmer myself I can say that yes, linking to the pdf on the help menu is not a difficult task, but that’s not really the issue. They’re obviously trying to get away from generating pdf documents and want to steer users towards online help.

Online help has its advantages. If you need to make a change to the documentation, you change the website and everyone automatically gets the new information rather than having to generate a new pdf and make it available for download. And of course, all corporate executives know that being “in the cloud” is trendy and thus marketable.

I personally prefer a pdf for documentation, and there’s also the issue many have where they intentionally keep their studio computers disconnected from the Internet. That said, when a company makes a change like this (making it difficult for you to not do it their way, e.g. having to hunt down and download the pdf), it’s usually an indication of where they’re going whether you like it or not. My crystal ball sees a future version of Cubase where there’s no pdf documentation available at all.