MIDI notes too early

No , I can’t hear the metronome. In fact I had to stop at one point to check I was still in time with it.

I use a 2 bar intro to get the timing right then go from there, and I only examine the MIDI recorded from about 4 bars into it, which gives me time to adjust if needed.

This again draws me back to the Ableton recording vs Cubase’s. If I was that early, wouldn’t I be early there too ?

No , I can’t hear the metronome. In fact I had to stop at one point to check I was still in time with it.

Now that. Is a very strange statement indeed. Funny too.
Just the first sentence would have done. :mrgreen:
All I can think is that Ableton implies some sort of quantise that is coarser than Cubase’s even when the quantise is set to “off” in Ableton.
If the same applied to Cubase it would pull you off a 128th triplet (approximately & effectively quantise “off”).

Have you never started playing something and just gone off in a world of your own ? I do it all the time, start playing something I know, and then branch off into something completely different and forget what it is I was doing.

It’s at it’s worst when I load up the Korg M1 plug-in and just go off on one with that. I can be there for ages, played loads and not actually recorded or done any work on the project I was on. :laughing:

Oh…another midi early thread? It goes moving around on the forum all the time. Well, lets bring it up. Hopefully we got some news some day that somebody at Steinberg is at least listenning and maybe, like in our wetest dreams, planning to do something about it. :slight_smile:

You are a truly creative person, thats for sure!
All i can think is Live records my performance as i play it while Cubase shifts it akwardly to the left. Sorry Conman, you served me that one on a silver platter :wink:

Well as it’s not happening for everybody I try to work out what conditions are the cause.
While you seem to think “winning” somethng is the answer I try to look objectively at the problem as I think it can be solved at the user end rather than the programming end. While it isn’t fixed for you we all “lose”, granted you more than me. The thing is I can only see my version of Cubase but there has to be some guessing from this end about what is happening to others.
While no-one is still bothered much about supplying system details no programmer is going to consider looking at the problem so you’re stuck with the forum. Sorry but you are still serving that to yourself on a gold platter.

Its not about winning anything, what do i win? We´d all win if the guys at Steinberg took care of the problem and thats why i´ll keep posting on these threads.
We have many posts and threads about this and many people (including myself) already gave their specs and nothing has been done so far. There´s nothing more we need to work out here, its something they need to take care of. Just because you dont have it it doesnt mean that the rest of us are playing out of sync, have quantization on and we didnt realize, etc, etc.

So, for people like me having the issue the most coherent thing is to bump up this treads, point people to look on the other older threads and warn them that if they cant fix this thing after all they have read (ignore portfilter, timestamp, etc.) they will probably will never get rid of it.

I guess this is the position we all should take about it since there´s plenty of info here and people continue to have the issue. I really cant understand why you keep pointing to things like quantization etc. when you already know that none of this fixed the thing for many of us, and i´ve been following the threads and knowthat i am not the only person telling you this. But ehy this is a forum, just allow me to take it with a bit of humor. No hard feelings.

So why don’t we start to post in this threads all systemspecs ? Specs in my signature have no midinotes too early symptomes.

So letz collect the good and the bad specs perhaps than we can see a pattern.

Greetz Bassbase

I have Cubase 8.5. Under prefs go to MIDI and activate delay compensation by default.

Earlier Cubase versions that don’t have that option: Increase the ASIO buffer to 512 or 1024.
Depending on your project sample rate setting you should get around 20ms total latency.
This is better than auto quantize!

Sound check: use a midi device that also has a sound engine, record both audio and MIIDI and see if the waves line up with the MIDI notes.

easy peasy
:nerd:

Almost 8 years later but the answer is to go where it lists your audio interface (soundcard). Under VST Audio System you uncheck the box where it says “Adjust for Record Latency”.

I see 6 more pages so someone probably answered but in case someone didn’t I hope I was helpful as opposed to the arrogant guest.

1 Like

the solution is NOT in the manual OR the knowledge base!!! It is super frustrating having this problem and nobody seems to have a solution. If you have one, post it here.

1 Like

I checked the manual and spent DAYS reading thru forums, NO answer anywhere that works. Instead of spending your time giving monious anwers, why don’t you tell us what to do?

I agree

For what it’s worth by way of info…

I have used Cubase 7.5 for 6 years with a Windows 7 pc. I have used a Focusrite Scarlett 1820i with it. No problems at all with Midi latency…and lets be clear, I am talking about MIDI latency - not AUDIO latency…I have never had a problem with audio latency.

I recently was forced to start using a new Windows 10pro pc due to loss of support for the W7 machine and reluctantly spent days setting up Cubase on the new W10 machine from my original disk and all my vst plugins and licenses on that new pc.

When I finally started to actually record, suddenly I encounter this midi latency problem…i.e. (as in the posts below) …when I record anything using my midi controllers (various) there is no sound latency as I’m playing, but I can see that all the midi notes are being offset to about 3/8th’s of a bar earlier than when I actually play them and so if I play a note on the very first beat of the bar it is lost.

I’ve tried every fix suggested here and elsewhere, but nothing seems to work.

I still have Cubase 7.5 on my old Window 7 pc and can simply switch my Focusrite 1820i and elicenser back to that again to see if the midi latency happens on the old pc now

NO - IT DOESN’T!! - and I’m forced to go back to using the old pc…minus half my plugins which are just too tedious to reload…

I have laboriously checked all the settings for everything mentioned below …and more…and set up Cubase identically on both machines.

Midi latency only happens for me on the Windows 10 pc…not on the Windows 7…using all the same hardware and software.

So what is the problem here? My Steinberg support here in Singapore is great…but also unable to locate the source of the problem.

Does anyone in Steinberg central have an idea? This has obviously been going on for years judging by all the posts in different forums I’ve read.

Finally…this seems to have worked for me!!! Thanks Mr Roos!!

Re: MIDI notes too early

Post by mr.roos » Sat May 19, 2012 7:59 am
This is from the Help section of Device Setup:

"If timing problems with the recorded MIDI events occur with your operating system, try activating the “Use System Timestamp” options.

Go to “Devices>Device Setup> MIDI Port Setup” and tick the two boxes at the bottom of the popup

1 Like

This is a really interesting post! Because I (also) have Cubase 10 Pro and the same issue only occurs on Win10 Pro (Lenovo T480s). Everything works completely fine on two other computers (2x Lenovo T440s with Win8.1). So this is maybe a problem with MIDI on Win 10?

(Just for the record, I also had this issue on Cubase 4 on WinXP and the “Use System Timestamp” option solved it.)

FWIW, I installed a fresh Win10 partition on the same PC without removing the existing Win10 installation so I would be able to compare. On the new Win10 I installed Cubase 10 and Halion 6 only, plus my controller’s MIDI/audio driver. Surprisingly, the new installation does not have problems with early MIDI notes, while the older installation (on the same PC) does have issues. Maybe at some point in time some software installation caused an issue on my older Win10. So although I was not able to pinpoint the exact cause, it seems worth making a fresh Win10 install and keeping it dedicated for Cubase use only. Although in your case it seems that is exactly what you did.

Heya

\

1. Right click on on the midi track, and select “tract controls settings”,
  2. Navigate to the “instruments tab” and move “ASIO Latency Compensation” across to the “visible controls” section.
  3. On your MIDI channel you will have a new button that activates ASIO Latency Compensation. Activate that button and your problem should be solved.

This is how it works in Cubase 10 btw

Hope that helps you :slight_smile:

Best,
V

Oh, thanks, this is really helpful.

wtf? is this an authorized steinberg person??