MIDI Device File Repository?

MIDI Device documentation is now in a separate manual. Look in the help menu of Cubase for a selection called, “MIDI Devices”. It’s been a long time since I looked at it, and I think the portion on patch scripts may be incomplete (as if someone stripped out information for Windows XP on the usual locations of the files, and never got around to adding it back, but for Vista and later).

I discovered more information on installing the patch scripts, with a search engine in my web browser (Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.). Yes, things I found were usually done for much older versions of Windows and Cubase, but the concepts were very similar. Since Windows ‘Vista’ some of the user directories and such have changed from what they were back in XP days, but the files themselves, and the way they work in Cubase are still the same. Those of us who have been using a PC since the days of MS DOS kind of take it for granted that everyone knows where the different versions of Windows like to keep certain kinds of files…go figure.

When it comes to legacy equipment (outboard MIDI gear with built in synths/samplers/audio engines, some of which even need to be ‘synced’ via timecode of some sort) the ‘older’ books and manuals will offer more complete and descriptive documentation as well. When it comes to dealing with ‘outboard MIDI gear’, well, much of that code goes way back to Cubase 5 (or maybe even older). Many of our best MIDI based keyboards and workstations well ‘predate’ the arrival of VST style software based instruments. It’s all we had, so much of the manual and tutorials were built around setting up and using outboard gear. These days fewer and fewer ‘new comers’ to Cubase even own anything like a full blown Keyboard Workstatioin with onboard sounds and synth engines, few companies are even producing such instruments anymore (and when they do they will come with profiles for the most popular DAWs, and instructions on how to install them)…so space in the newer DAW manuals is devoted to the newer VST technologies.