Audio Hardware Setup! Now it's there, now it's not!

I’ve done some more checking on this. On my system, every time I exit Cubase, either with the normal quit or a forced quit, the hardware control is missing the next time I star Cubase. If I run the utility and change the buffer from small to medium (or vice versa) it requires a system reboot. But then the hardware panel is back… at least until the very next time I exit Cubase. Then I have to repeat the process. EVERY DAMN TIME! Hardly “professional” product integration if you ask me…

Today Cubase “Unexpectedly Quit (i.e. crashed)” during the normal “Quit” sequence

When I relaunched Cubase, I experienced a “frozen” Project Assistant! After a couple of minutes (while I was preparing to write this), it worked again.

Once again the Hardware settings were gone, and I had to waste time reinstalling “TOOLS for MR V1.7.7” with the required reboots.

This is proof that a Cubase crash has the same effect as a force quit. It’s very easy for the Steinberg engineers to replicate this problem. Just force quit Cubase when it reaches the Hub!

Steinberg has ignored this problem for years! When will Steinberg fix this? I must say, I agree with AlakaLazlo.

I agree that this is frustrating. Like jmartin225, however, I have been able to open the Hardware panel in EVERY instance by selecting an input channel in the mix console, sometimes turning the visibility of various channels off and on a few times, double clicking in random places, etc. and VOILA! eventually the Hardware tab will become visible. The hardware control functions on the mixer input then work as usual, and you can open the elusive Hardware Settings dialog box by clicking on the headphone icon at the Left side bottom of the hardware secion of the mixer input channel, even though it still does not appear in the Device menu as it should.

I must admit it’s a bit embarrassing to do this in front of a client. They are probably asking themselves why I don’t upgrade to actual working software with the money they are paying me. :unamused:

This functionality is essential, as Cubase also randomly “forgets” which outputs I have assigned to the MR816 headphone outputs and this is the only place to reset them, in what appears to be another little annoying bug. It was a major annoyance (couldn’t get the client’s mix right, no levels would change) until I noticed what was happening. “Can you give me less Banjo?” “Well, not at the moment!” :laughing:

BTW, direct monitoring (zero latency) is set in the VST Audio section of the Device Setup menu, not here. That is not affected by this issue.

I don’t know about you and jmartin225, but bought a professional software/hardware package for the purpose of making and recording music. If I wanted a third rate computer game, I would have bought one.

Perhaps I was a bit unclear. I never said that DM couldn’t be turned on or off. Have you ever recorded a vocalist who is content with having his/her voice dry, in the headphones? I haven’t! Having access to setting up the MR816’s internal reverb is vital to getting a good vocal performance. Therefore I claim that DM monitoring is useless when this access is denied.

Anyway, I have narrowed down the cause of the problem to that it happens when Cubase is quit in the “wrong” way. This can be after a “Force Quit” or a crash. A couple of days ago I had Cubase “Unexpectedly Quit” during the shut down sequence (not an uncommon occurrence). When I relaunched Cubase, guess what! The hardware options were gone. Why is this happening to the hardware options, only? The audio interface works and I see no other feature, in Cubase, disappearing.

Forgive my nagging, but this thread clearly indicate that this is something thar Steinerg needs to look into (if the Pro claimes is to be believed). Playing third-rate computer games, in the hope of maybe get things working, is not an acceptable option!

Still same Problem, after the new UR824 Update. I will write to the support. We all should, if Problem still remains by your setuo too. My Hardware Setup is gone everys time. No matter if Cubase crashes before or not. It must have something to do with a special file in die App Data Folder of Cubase on Windows. If you replace it with an version, which was saved before quitting Cubase the first time after instalation , the hardware setup is Back again. I already make jokes on my self to replayce the Cubase App Data "Preset folde rby each Windows Satartup with an Sync-Application. :wink:. I just don’t have figured out which file in the Preset-Folder is in connection with this.

I copy this post o me from another post of the problem:

The Workaorund by not selecting to remember the UR as Audio Interface , which pops up at Cubase startup works. thanks to other User. unfortunatly i can’t find the post again as fast as I want.I guess there must be a specific file in the App Data folder in which this is saved. And probably we can solve the problem by ourselfs if we find that file and manipulate it

I can confirm that the hardware setup menu item is ALWAYS present when I have received the dialog to choose an audio driver when opening Cubase. For those who have checked the “Don’t ask me again” button and are no longer seeing this dialog box, try switching drivers, closing Cubase and re-opening it. This should restore the dialog box pop up. If not, try installing a different device driver alongside your preferred device. Just download one from Steinberg and install it. The first time you start Cubase, you should be prompted once more. Problem solved… Er, well, worked around.

I got an old tool from the internet called: Push the freakin’ button.It was free in past. Now this tools presses the pop up menu for me at startup and the audio hardware menu do not disappear anymore. The tool take some cpu but I am using Process Lasso to Limit its usage. If I am running out of Perfomance i still can turn it off. It takes 0,05 % on my Intel7 6700K. The newer Version of the Push the freakin’ button costs around 30 dollars I think. I found the version named PTFB1064 and it works.

Another frustrated user.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the hardware rack settings are also written in the project file itself. Couldn’t get the hardware settings to reappear following everyone’s instructions above. But I was always opening an old project, created originally pre-Cubase 8.

So instead, I did the ol’ driver changeroo, and instead, created a new project. And the hardware settings were there.

Next, I went back to the trouble project. Audio Hardware Setup WAS in the device menu. BUT, there’s no hardware option in the racks list! And I have not managed (yet) to find the magic to bring that back on this project.

When I got the racks back, I created an empty project, and in the racks, opened up the Hardware section, and saved it that way. So far, that project always opens up OK. But, when I open up a trouble project, they are still missing.

The real frustrating part is that I would be better off if I was using a non-integrated non-Steinberg interface. Not a good message…

Any news on this?

How can you work when the Hardware-Setup appears just randomly?

Hinnerk

Cubase 8.5
Windows 10

Pls see my post above. I offered a workaround for this that gets the menu back every time you start Cubase.

Hello rtorstrick. We are back again. DEL GRIN also read along after his comment :wink:

Thanks rtorstrick. The Workaround works.

Still this procedure feels like an inconvinience to me, which I want to be fixed.

Thanks to Funk Master, too. He noticed what happened when it was present, I just figured out how to satisfy that condition when starting Cubase. I agree that this should be fixed. It would seem that a simple fix (maybe not an elegant one) is suggested by our workaround. It should be easy enough to just force Cubase to rescan the driver each time it opens, even if the user doesn’t see it happening. But then, I’m not a programmer.

I’ve had a recurrence of the mix console display problem after the most recent Windows 10 update. A new project did not show the Hardware tab in the mix console. To solve this, I opened the Audio Hardware Setup dialog box (always available now after the workaround noted above) and on the Settings tab I switched the assignment of the Morphing Channel Strip to the Digital I/O. Suddenly the Hardware section tab (closed) showed up in the Mix Console. I then switched it back to the Mic/Line I/O and it disappeared again!

I repeated this a few times. Once, it appeared as expected only to disappear when I simply clicked on it to open it! Eventually it opened up with the channel strip open and I was able to use it normally. Once the Hardware tab is fully open in the mix console, I have found the entire tab section to disappear completely upon closing, tab and all!

This is certainly bizarre behavior. And unpredictable. Sometimes it behaves as it should, and at other times it plays the hide and seek game.

Please, Steinberg, we need some attention to this issue. Is anyone listening to us?

I have the same problem, and it’s been reported to Steinberg support.

Just for information, if you end up with the option missing having ticked the “don’t ask again” box when Cubase first asks if you want to use the MR you can get it back by editing the defaults.xml file in the %USERPROFILE%/AppData/Roaming/Steinberg/Cubase 8.5_64 folder. Just remove this section …

<item>
         <string name="Group" value="YamahaService"/>
         <member name="Values">
            <int name="PJ-ASIO" value="1"/>
            <string name="PJ-DATE2" value="DATE: 10-15-2016 TIME: 16:56:18"/>
            <int name="SETUP-PJ-ASIO" value="0"/>
         </member>
      </item>

This saves having to reinstall drivers and stuff like that.

This is on a PC - no idea about the Mac version sorry. As always, back up the file first in case things go wrong!

Mike

G’mornin’, Gents & Ladies… Does anybody know whether this issue has bee resolved in Cubase 9? I’m on Cubase 8.5.2 with a MR816x, and have been plagued by this bug for quite some time. Would gladly purchase Cubase 9, if I knew this “feature” is reimplemented.

Unfortunatly not. In fact the problems came back to me no matter the workaround i had gone before. But i found a new solution and alternativ than reinstalling the driver. If You install the 64 bit driver all the UR Stuff is listed under programmex86 on windows maschine. But only one File not. Go to the folder of the UR under Programms (64bit) rename the .dll file in there. Then Cubase will configure the driver again. I had to do this because reinstalloing the driver didn’t helped anymore. I use an old version of the Tool named PushTheFreakingButton for a workaround. I guess this is written somewhere above here. Just don’t check the box for remembering the driver which pops up on cubase startup. I Use The PushTheFreakingbutton Tool to press OK on the Pop-Up window on Cubase-Start-Up automatically.

As rtorstrick was kind enough to mention in the other thread about this topic, there’s a new driver available for the MR816, which (so far) seems to have solved this issue. Just figured you guys might benefit from that info! Get it at the Steinberg download page, and have at it!!

Hi, I was also experiencing the same issue with my system. it was very frustrating. thankfully I recently upgraded to Pro9 and it is now working as it should. Likely they knew of this issue and fixed it.