[FR] Allow VCA Tracks And Group Busses to Be Folders

Currently, one can put tracks together into a folder for easier hierarchy and management. This folder can be muted, so all tracks in that folder are muted. But to control volume, one needs to create a separate track as VCA or group bus, which adds an additional track to the project. If one does this for many folders, it’ll get messy. Many folders here, all the group tracks over there. Hard to keep track of and bad overview.

I think it would be neat if groups or VCA tracks would allow to stack tracks under them. Basically a folder that actually is a VCA or group bus. The logical signal flow is then coming from the tracks within to the group bus above and then to the stereo out or wherever routing is set up. This would save a track lane in the project and would make sense to structure visually.

Suggestion: Allow any kind of track to be put under such group busses or VCAs. This also makes sense from a signal flow. Make it so that tracks dragged into these folders automatically route their audio through that top folder track. And when taken out, revert to sending their audio back to stereo out or wherever they routed to. This would make it super convenient moving tracks and having the routing taken care of automatically.

(I had this request in a monolithic request post but I realized nobody could comment sensibly in any way so I broke it out. Maybe I’ll see that way what makes sense and people +1 and what doesn’t make sense. Sorry for the hassle.)