Is Halion crashing your DAW?

Crashes for me if I use MIDI program changes to call up larger patches/samples too quickly. This behavior is at its worst for me with Sibelius 7.5.1, and do get them with Cubase 8.5 as well (it’s easier to avoid in Cubase though).

Program Changes work just fine if I stick with the GM patches, or others that have really lean sample sets. If it’s a patch with larger samples…crashes are frequent and super annoying.

For me, it’s not such a big deal with Cubase since I’m having to plan and load my patches from the ground up anyway, and can avoid using Program Changes. With things like Finale and Sibelius, it’s super annoying since I’d really like to take advantage of the instrument profile systems of these applications which use Program Changes to automate setting up my favorite scores (rather than having to go into Halion itself and do it all manually time and time again).

So far, this is the only thing I’ve run into that causes a hard crash with H5. Sadly, when it crashes like this, it does bring down the host application too (and quite often locks the audio hardware in a noisy loop back so bad it needs the audio-card reset, or even an entire reboot)! Happens on more than one PC/System…