MR816 "Audio Hardware Setup" in Cubase disappears

I think that is the answer for now. I use the MR Console when recording from tape etc., into a mastering program,
so may as well do the same with Cubase (shame about the lack of promised integration, though).

Or you can buy something that just works - a real multi-track recorder.

I am having this problem as well since moving to my new machine running Windows 10. Same symptoms, it comes back if I reinstall the extensions until the next time restart the computer.

So while hunting down a nasty issue with audio dropouts, I tried the YSFWUtility described here…

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/mr816-resolving-audio-performance-issues.html

I set the firewire buffer size to large and while this fixed my dropouts, it had the unexpected side effect of also returning my Audio Hardware setup inside Cubase. I have a sneaking suspicion that Windows versions later than 7 have reduced the firewire buffer size. Worth a shot for those experiencing this issue, YMMV.

I think I spoke too soon. This doesn’t seem to fix the issue. I really need this resolved or my headphone jacks are basically useless on the MR816.

another post Audio Hardware Setup! Now it's there, now it's not! - #8 by Svenne - Legacy Steinberg Hardware - Steinberg Forums has begun, I hope we can resolve this soon; I have asked for chipset usage, in order to see if a best hardware list may be accomplished. (The availability of cards seems to be less, than a few years ago).

Does anyone know how this mode setting can be checked and/or changed? I can’t find anything in Device Manager, the Yamaha FW Utility, or the MR816 hardware settings that address this.

I refer you to Audio Hardware Setup! Now it's there, now it's not! - #8 by Svenne - Legacy Steinberg Hardware - Steinberg Forums ‘…The audio interface works and I see no other feature, in Cubase, disappearing…’
So it looks, without doubt, that this IS a Cubase problem and needs rectifying ASAP.

I have the same issue. “Audio Hardware Setup” is missing from Devices menu.

I am using a Steinberg UR824. This sort of issue should not be happening in a Steinberg application.

Please see the workaround posted here:

:arrow_right: I reran the latest UR824 Tools setup. When I load Cubase, and again get prompted to choose my Audio Interface, I DO NOT CHECK “Do not ask this again”. I select my interface and continue into Cubase. As long as I do NOT select the “Do not ask…” box here, the Audio Hardware selection is visible in the Devices Menu! I’ve closed and reopened Cubase several times, I think it works! :smiley:

:slight_smile: I sincerely thank whomever discovered the problem was related to that opening Cubase, interface prompt. I’ve been in several Posts and cannot locate the thread that offered the above work-around. Give it a try, if it bothers you to click on an audio input Head Phone icon within the mixer. :wink:

Asking the same question here, just in case you missed it in the other thread!!

G’mornin’, Gents & Ladies… Does anybody know whether this issue has bee resolved in Cubase 9? I’m on Cubase 8.5.2 with a MR816x, and have been plagued by this bug for quite some time. Would gladly purchase Cubase 9, if I knew this “feature” is reimplemented.

Me too!

There is a new driver available. Looks like it fixed BOTH problems, the disappearing Hardware Setup menu/dialog, AND the disappearing hardware tab in the mix console. Limited testing, but looks like it’s working properly AT LAST!

Thanks for the info, rtorstrick… Downloaded and installed the new driver. Seems to be working, so far!! I guess we’ll know if it stays this way, but so far it’s looking good!!

The same problem is back again in 9.0.10 with 1.7.8 driver :frowning: I might be wrong but I guess the issue starts if I first power off MR816 and the shut down Cubase. Steinberg please correct the driver again.

I still suffer this issue with latest drivers and Cubase 9.0.1. :unamused:

Did it really get cured??? Or were people just lucky in not having it happen for a while?

The 1.7.8 driver sorted it for me and still good …Cubase 8.5. My question is when and if I upgrade to 9 will the problem return?

I have a vague feeling that 1.7.8 cured it in 8.5 for me too but hard to be sure as I don’t use the Hardware Setup window on a daily basis so it may be that it was still disappearing and I just hadn’t noticed.

I’m running 9 and it seems to be working correctly.