CMC-AI Alternatives?

Hey guys, first post here. I recently took a job that requires me to travel quite a bit, so I’m producing out of motel rooms half of the month. Because of this I sold off all of my analog gear (filters, delays, reverbs, etc). I just can’t lug all of that stuff around. The biggest thing I’m missing right now is the hands-on control I had with like filter cutoffs for example. The CMC-AI seems to be exactly what I need… just one knob, easily assignable to various parameters in Cubase, and very slim profile for my backpack. I was really disappointed to see Steinberg had already discontinued these controllers.

I haven’t really used Midi controllers much in Cubase outside of just a keyboard, so my questions are:

1. Is there a similar alternative to the CMC-AI on the market?
  2. There are dozens and dozens of Japanese sellers on Amazon supposedly selling this controller, but I can’t find it anywhere else. Has me a little sketched out, why would there be so many available in Japan?
  3. Is the CMC-AI even worth hunting down or will Steinberg stop supporting these controllers in future releases of Cubase?

You can check the new dfader…still mackie control and hui but coming to midi cc soon (so they say)

http://www.deviltechnologies.com/index.php/dfader

The Steinberg CC121 is your best alternative if the CMC-AI is your target.