"workaround" for transit

now i finally tried transit with a friend.
i did someway expect to just work over the internet on one project.
i did someway expect that everybody can works on all tracks and everything is synced.
short version:
i was a bit underwhelmed.
no automation and track effects and midi is synced. what steinberg?

BUT then i just throw one project into a dropbox folder and shared this folder with my friend.
he works on mac, i am on pc.

and it works like endless greatness.

we work on the same project, everything is there and up to date.

ALL AND EVERYTHING!

btw i love retrologue and i am a long term cubase user…

throwing a project into dropbox is everything which transit wants to hope to become some far away day in future.

ok boys and galz.
update to my dropbox experience.

the projekt folder sits in the dropbox as i said.

now i recorded audio and then fumbled a bit with ´reverb and delay settings for a rough mix.

i then saved the project and expected to wait long minutes until the audio is saved and uploaded in
my dropbox.

i forgot that already during recording the computer startet uploading the audio data and finished it when
i did the reverb settings.

when i then saved the project it was all syncred within few seconds.

in transit you have to wait.
and remind it. transit does sync only media data.
dropbox syncs all and everything. even in between mac and pc.
i am a happy camper now. by the way. cubase 8.5. all in all is great. i like the new plugins and effekts-

But there is one weak point with your dropbox workaround: you can’t work on the same project file together at the same time. Who saves at last, will overwrite the changes of the others. You need to save different versions then, which you have to put together manually (which is quite easy with the new import from project function!).
This is the advantage of VST Transit. You have one owner of the project and the collaborators are working in different cubase folders and everything will be synced in one project.

you are completly right!

there transit has its advantage.

we have solved this by texting via whatsapp when we work on it and yes we gave the song a new version number each time we changed or added something. which is no deal.

now we have finished the first soing with dropbox.
it worked FUN TAS TIC.

pc and mac on every end.

on to the next song

Would I be correct to say that Transit protects a users material in a substantial way should a copyright issue emerge? I do struggle a bit at present with editing and mixing someone elses tracks. At present I make a duplicate in order to get full control of the other users track for editing and mixing. The other users orignal track alway remains in their domain. If they accept my edits they have to make a duplicate if they wish to futher alter the track. This results in multiple tracks that trace back to the original. Am I approaching this the right way?

If I understand you correctly, yes.
You can only edit your own tracks, but you can copy from every track. This means you have write access to your tracks only but read access to others’ tracks. This avoids project synchronisation issues which are otherwise almost impossible to handle.
But transit has nothing to do with copyright at all. "Copy"right is not protected because you can - well, copy everybody’s tracks. When you start to collaborate, that means you provide access to your material to all members of the project, and you will have to solve any potential copyright issues yourself.

“If I understand you correctly, yes”

Terrific, I’ll deal with copyright as totally separate.

So far the only complexity has been ensuring clarity as to which versions of tracks belong to a specific mix as the project passes back and forth. Probably using unique folders for each mix that deserves export for testing on different playback systems.

So when the project gets ridiculously large from duplicating tracks how do we archive the original and carry on with a new version that begins with only the most recent mix? I’ll take a guess that the project owner removes the project from the cloud then creates a new version from which they remove redundant tracks then upload the new version and carry on.