Blank GUI Central

Hi all,

I am having similar problems in a pure 64 bit Windows 10 Pro Environment running Cubase 8.5.20 (and in the latest Reaper also). At least Waves (VST3 x64), Arturia (VST3 x64) and FabFilter are showing blank GUIs (on secondary displays, see below). I think it is related to OpenGL because these plug-ins seem to make use of OpenGL while others do not. I searched the web a lot but could not find any solution. I am using two AMD W4100 graphic adapters, and tried a PNY NVS 810 (NVIDIA) yesterday. Problems remain the same. For me, the blank GUI is always freezing the system, so actually it is kind of a crash. I have to kill Cubase manually. (BTW, I have also problems shutting down and/or killing Cubase sometimes. It leaves a Cubase process in the task manager and this process cannot be killed, not even by way of kill process instructions in a console with adminstrator rights, so I have to restart the computer completely to be able to start Cubase anew)

I am running the latest versions of all drivers (which should support OpenGL 4.x), Win10 is up-to-date etc.

I am using several displays with the graphic cards mentioned above, and actually there is a simple but not very funny workaround: Everything works perfectly fine on the Windows primary display. I can open plug-ins, they are showing GUI, I can also drag the plug-in window to one of the secondary displays, but when I close and re-open on the secondary display, it freezes. So in this situation, I would have to change the primary display in Windows graphics properties, restart Cubase, re-open the plug-in which is then on the (now) primary display, drag it back to the (now) secondary display, close, change the primary display again in Windows graphics properties, and then I can open it on the (original) primary display. I searched the web for any kind of OpenGL update or bugfix or library or similar, but I could not find anything.

I should add that my displays are not in a perfect matrix, i.e. imagine something like one display on top of the left of two other displays. This means that a rectangle comprising all displays has a large number of pixels, but only part of them are “accessible”.

Everything used to work on my old Win 8.1 machine, same graphics adapters (W4100), but older Win 8 drivers (which do not work in Win10).

Cubase itself and many other plug-ins works without problems on all displays, so I assume they do not use OpenGL (?).

Maybe somebody had/has a similar problem…