Anyone successfully running 2 Midex8s x64?

Since no one has had any answer for my earlier post Dual Midex8 Win7 x64 issue - Steinberg Hardware - Steinberg Forums, I’m going to ask something parallel.

Is anyone here successfully running 2 or more instances of Midex8 x64?

I seem to keep getting odd glitches. Recently Cubase started forgetting the DirectMusic midi port device names and renaming them from, for an example, from ‘Midex8 4’ to ‘noname.’ Wouldn’t be so bad if it was only one ‘noname,’ but get three or four ‘nonames’ and it’s a tad confusing.

I’ve wondered if my problems were due to running multiple units. Either one of my two units seems to behave OK when it’s the single instance, but they are not playing together nice.

Como

I’ve had some weird stuff happening with the direct music ports as well, suddenly dissappearing or indeed changing names. I’ve got just 1 midex so I think it’s just the driver.
Standalone it always works so I don’t think it’s the unit.

TY Strophid, in a perverse way, that’s good to know.

I prefer thinking there are some little ‘bugs’ in the drivers, than wondering what I’m doing wrong.

Assuming that’s the case, I’m still grateful for the x64 drivers. If I have to uninstall/ reinstall a couple of times a year, it’s still worth it.

Como

And Steinberg never offered a solution to this. Wow. I shouldn’t expect help–or could there be a God.

Best, Ted

Figures, the minute I get a little snippy I figure it out. If anyone cares let me know.

Ted

Great … please post your ‘solution.’

BTW … the x64 drivers were never officially released, just informally offered on a ‘you can have them if they’re useful to you’ basis.

My problem really wasn’t problems with the operation, but rather with the names of the interface ports being replaced with “Noname”. I like other can use the these ports after figuring out which was which, but that really is messy.

Today I got the correct names back by doing the following.

1. Disconnecting both of my Midex8s.
  2. Reboot (this may not be necessary)
  3. Opening the device manager
  4. Change the view to “Show hidden Devices”
  5. Go to each of the Midex8 drivers and uninstall them (don’t check the box for removing the driver)
  6. Close the device manager and (do #7 first) reboot (again, many not need to reboot, just being careful)
  7. In Cubase deassign external midi instrument name from the devices–set them to no connection. (Not sure this matters. It is just something I did–just in case.)
  8. After OS comes back up, plugin one Midex8 interface at a time and check interface name in Cubase.
    The sequence I followed was, plug in Midex8, start Cubase, (OK then), Stop Cubase, plugin 2nd Midex8, Start Cubase.

This is not the best explanation, but it should be close enough. Only time will tell it I have the problem again.

Oh yes, I know the 64bit drivers are not supported, but some of use do still want to use our Steinberg interfaces. How do you secure loyalty?

Best, Ted.

Ted, thanks.

I will be eager to hear if this is a permanent solution … but I am doubtful. This is essentially what I have done in the past … uninstall the drivers and reboot. It brings everything back … but it hasn’t stopped things from disappearing again eventually.

Como

Got it.

I am surprised that Steinberg hasn’t at least taken a moment to look at this–at least to verify there is a problem. I can’t assume that there is so few folks using two interfaces–assuming it only happens with two.

I have one in the control room and one in the main recording room so that midi devices can be connected either location. This is why I have two.

Best, Ted

I run/ ran two because I had 11 sound modules hooked up. :slight_smile:

I don’t want to be disputatious … but realistically speaking I cannot expect Steinberg to do anything about this. I have lots of x86 hardware in the closet or out to pasture since I decided to run x64. If I really, really wanted to use some of it I’d either have to set up a dual boot system or return to my old 32 bit Cubase … where Midex8 and a lot of other things would work as they were intended.

So, again, I am simply glad the Midex8 x64 drivers mostly work and am grateful to have them.

But do you really need each one on it’s own cable, i.e. are you using all 16 channels of each of the 11 modules? Just curious.

I’m using one Midex 8 with Windows 10 x64 with little or no problem. I have found it beneficial to do a clean out as suggested here: How to Speed up Cubase’s Initializing MIDI Startup Stage, however, I’m probably not stressing it to the same extent.

What I do or don’t need is a pretty deep subject! :slight_smile:

But I’m not sure why/ how the number of modules is affected by how many channels I use on each module? Each module must be physically connected and I don’t like/ trust using MIDI Thru … so, since there are in essence 7 exclusive channels on each MIDEX8, it takes 2 to connect 11 modules.

FWIW, all the modules were (in the midst of a move and the studio is not yet completely reconfigured) routed through a patchbay with at least a stereo pair out from each module directly to an ADC input on my interface. From within Cubase I could access all the modules and their patches for monitoring or recording.

Oh, BTW, thanks for the tip/ link on initializating MIDI Startup.

OK, of course you know best what suits your own needs, but the electrical circuit of a MIDI thru introduces no delay whatsoever … there’s no processing between MIDI in and the MIDI thru. The only reason I can think of to use a separate MIDI in/out pair for a device is if you need to run a sysex editor for that specific device (or for a very, very old device that only does omni mode!). Generally, even for that, you really only need a separate input per device, i.e. the device’s MIDI out goes to a unique MIDI in. If you’re not running editors, there’s absolutely no reason all 11 devices couldn’t be fed from a single MIDI output, with each device set to a unique channel, and daisy-chained via MIDI thru.

Needless to say everyone has different set-ups and this may not suit you for a variety of reasons, but I just thought it might perhaps help simplify matters.

[EDIT:] Of course, just after clicking “Submit”, I realised that if the modules are multi-timbral you will of course need a dedicated in/out pair in order to access all 16 channels of each module seperately … :slight_smile:

There it is! :slight_smile:

FWIW … I understand that from the third ‘thru’ linked MIDI device on due to the serial nature of MIDI data you can start getting bottle necks down the MIDI port. If you were only using one device at a time it wouldn’t be a problem. But if you are using multiple devices simultaneously you start getting timing problems.

Another internet myth I suspect … the connection from the MIDI in to the MIDI thru is purely electrical and taken from the output of the optocoupler on the MIDI in. The fact that MIDI is serial in nature is not relevant here because the MIDI thru doesn’t interpret any signals … if it’s a 1 at the input it’s a 1 at the output. In fact, if there’s any perceivable delay, then the there’s some other issue, but it’s not due to using a MIDI thru. I absolutely guarantee though that you will not be able to measure any delay even 11 devices down the line (assuming they’ve all implemented MIDI thru according to the spec).

Hats off to the 176 MIDI channels though :sunglasses:

Errh … that’s not all. I also have two ports each on my two RME Digifaces, an E-Mu 2x2, two on Novation SL 61 MK II, one on a Novation SL Zero and one on my Korg Radius. That’s another 112 for 278. While I seldom use those on the Digifaces, all the others get the ‘full tilt’ boogie.’

:open_mouth: We are not worthy! :smiley: