Bits rate and dithering in the Audio Montage?

I know this is an old thread, but I haven’t done this in quite a while. I’m on WL8.0.4 btw (not 7) - but the method is still the same.

Usually, I always Dither the output of the Audio Montage down to 16bit if I create a CUE/WAV sheet. Especially if I have 24bit or 32bit source files. Prior to WL7, I did have to check if my bitrates are all the same - not anymore, less troubles.

But the following thing is a bit tricky:

• the source files of the montage were already been mastered in 44/16 (I didn’t do this, I’m just taking care of the proper CD authoring and DDP creation)
  • if I render to DDP, the file size for a 45minute CD is as expected: 450MB. Opening the file as WAV from the DDP import (Montage) also reveals: 16bit
  • creating a WAV/CUE sheet from the Audio Montage does result in a 32bit file however. I can’t mount that file, neither can I I burn it with most tools.

Questions:
    a) does the DDP file rendering from 44/16 source files with a safety limiter on one Master Rack slot need dithering down to 44/16 again? I didn’t hear drastic damages so far. And as mentioned, the DDP file seems to be in proper 16bit post rendering.

b) would already 44/16bit dithered files not be “damaged” if I run another dither on top (example: CUE/WAV sheet creation, which would otherwise render 32bit WAV files)? I mean, it would definitely introduce more noise. Or does a normal bit-truncation work in this case?

c) would “burning” a CD (from the “Burn CD” button, which does create a CUE/WAV temp file) be bit-truncated? The WAV file created as temp is also 32bit. Yet it does burn to CD.

My main question is, if I need another general/safety Dithering instance or not.
And I am really confused right now.

Thanks for clearing that up on short notice.

Maybe also with a hint how to set up MBIT+ as transparent (re)dithering tool compared to the Apogee one, if dithering is really needed again.