AAFs from FCP X

Hi,

I’ve had a problem with a few projects from FCP X. The AAFs produced (via a 3rd party app, not sure which) sometimes have material at 44.1 (music generally). Nuendo doesn’t automatically convert it, so it plays fast. I can convert the clips in the pool, but then I have to manually reproduce any edits.

I tried opening one of these AAFs on Pro tools and it was fine - PT converted everything. I was then able to export this as a new trouble-free AAF, so I have a get-around. But I’d rather not have to go through the PT phase.

Any thoughts?

Pez

First off, it might be a good idea to post English questions in the English forum, even if most Germans’ English is better that most Englishmen’s German, you might get more help that way… :wink:
As to your question: I’m afraid as far as I know there is no other way than to convert in the pool and reproduce the edits, but I may be wrong. It also might be useful to tell your rookie editor that it is good form to convert all clips to the same sample rate before exporting. Most export tools for AAF will do this effortlessly with a simple mouse click.

Ahhh…thanks for pointing that out. And all credit to you for your English.

If this had happened once I would say it was a rookie editor, but it’s happened with several experienced editors when using X. And I’m always aware that, given that the rest of the universe uses Pro Tools (which doesn’t have a problem with this), we can’t expect special treatment because we don’t.

Cheers

P.

Thanks, but I can’t take it on account of me being English… :smiley:

Yes, I’ve heard quite a few stories about X. Thankfully the last time I had to put up with working on FCP was version 7, and I found even that a pain to work with, especially converting the sample frequencies of the clips.
And I agree with you that Nuendo should have a simple option of converting sample frequencies upon importing an AAF whilst retaining the edits.
Nonetheless, your editors should be aware that there are standards in the broadcast sector, one of them being that audio material is processed, exchanged and broadcast with 48, not 44.1 kHz, ever. Submitting anything else in an AAF is demanding special treatment, in my opinion.