Help me understand setting up GAIN STAGING in Cubase 8

I found them, thanks. (using cubase pro newest version btw) Last night what I did to experiment with this was load up a full kit in superior, paste in a midi drum solo, let it play through and then i went in and adjusted the gain in the ‘pre’ section so everything was around -18…this seemed to work ok for everything except the overheads track which was already at -26 or something…I don’t know something still doesn’t feel right. Now the poster below is saying it’s a flawed approach and i am royally confused again lol.

I was wondering about the MIDI thing you just mentioned as in my case i’m almost always starting a track with 90% MIDI instruments and two or three audio tracks from my axe fx.

How does this change things?

I also saw this guys video where he shows that you can just lower the faders initially but that it leaves you with no room to move them around in your mix, so he suggest’s using a trim plugin (which i assume is the same as lowering the gain in the pre rack). Here is the video I am referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2-IDkCMWFo

Thanks for being patient with me while I figure this out guys. It’s odd that i’ve been making music ITB for so long and I dont know this