only one headphone in control room :(

Hello Steiny,

I have a UAD Apollo and I’m on C7.0.2 and I must say that I really enjoy the control room so far! Thank you so much for that it’s amazing! However my Apollo has 2 stereo headphones outputs and in the control room section of the vst connections pannel I can only set one headphone :frowning: I’d like to have my 2 headphones output set up in cubase so I can control the clic and assign the cue mixes independently on both of them. The Apollo is getting more and more popular and there’s probably other audio interfaces with more than one HP outputs so that would be really apreciated! Thx

+1

Not Apollo only. Steinbreg MR series has 2 independend headphones outputs too. And lots of others todays sound cards too.

Can’t you just assign one of the “monitor” or ‘speaker’ outputs to your 2nd (or first) phone output? if you rename it “phones 2 (or 1)” in vst connections in the controlroom tab this would automaticly mute your speakers while using this phones output, by using the “monitor 1234” switch in the controlroom…

hope this helps, jb

by the way,
if you cannot exess the extra phones outputs of the interface in the vst connections (i.e. if they do not show up in the list of available outputs as a separate destination for the controlroom-outputs) the problem is not in Cubase, but in your interface. You should then contact uad for a solution…

I checked the manual of the apollo for you, it states:
“Two stereo headphone outputs with independent mix buses” so I think it must be possible to set up the mixer of your interface the right way…

Of course, you can use another bus.

To be honest, question is – why are there limits of number of busses?

Everything’s working fine Apollo wise … I can see both of my HP outputs in vst connection … I would just like to be able to add multiple HP in the control room. I know using monitor outputs works but as Martin.Jirsak said, why are we limited? Same with Cue Mixes … I worked in a professional studio for a while and the minimum amount of headphone mixes we were using during sessions is 4 and it often went up to 8 so why is cubase limited to 4?

The Phones output you see in studio connections are not for head phone cue mixes, strange but true. I remember that the manual says Phones output is supposed to be for an auxillary headphone send so a mixer an use them as alt to studio monitors. NOT for Studio Cue/HeadPhones

What you are supposed to use for headphones are 'Studios" at least that was what I think they were called in 6.5 and you can have 4 independant.

Once you have that figured out it works like a dream, I run 4 independent stereo headphone mixes in my studio and its super flexible and great with independant mixes, eq and plugsin on each great. Its really really great once you got it figured out

Thx for the reply, in Cubase 7 they are now called cue mixes and we still have 4 and we can mix them seperatly … my problem is not there, in the control room (real control room) I use the headphones for me but there’s often someone else with me in the control room that would like to use headphones too and control the volume, if he/she wants the clic and what cue mix she wants to hear and so on. I love the whole thing, I would just like to have no limits on the amount of buses (to have more than on headphone control and more than 4 cue mixes) I apreciate your answer tho :wink:

The cue mix can be fed the control room mix which you are listening to on your phones or its own unique mix and you can add click as needed. Sounds like what you describe is exactly what its designed to do.

Why would you not use “Phones” routed to headphone 1 on apollo for you and a Cue mix output routed to the headphone 2 outputs on your Apollo for the visitors headphones?

I thought you said both head phones outputs show up in “outputs” under vst connections so they will definitely show up as options for Phones and Cue so it should work just fine. Every output I have added but not assigned in outputs under vst connections is an option in studio.

what am I missing?

Thx again for your reply! Let me put it this way:
I have 4 musicians in the live room and they are using the 4 cue mixes acording to what they want, I have 2 people in the control room also wanting to listen to whatever they want in their headphones … If I put the 2nd guy on a cue mix, he will be tied to whatever the musician using that cue mix wants to hear as oposed to Phones bus where you can control the volume, click ect independetly + choosing what you want to listen to (mixconsole output, cue mix 1 to 4). I just don’t understand why cubase is limited to 1 Headphone bus and I really hope they’re gonna put the max cue mixes to 8 since 4 is not a lot for a professional recording studio. I hope it clarifies things up.

Ah, you already are using 4 cue mixes, now there’s the important piece of missing information that made it unclear. Had you not then there were valid work arounds to give you what you wanted.

The control room is really great especially the new features, although a bit buggy in 7 compared to 6.5. Lets hope for your sake that they add cue or headphones that are only limited by what your asio driver presents as they do with outputs.

Not sure how much processing load/overhead assigning outputs to ‘cue’ or ‘phones’ causes but seems as though the logic to implement this already so now understand purpose of your original post.

You can in the meantime use sends as cue channels.
What you seem to specifically need however, could be realised with a small HW mixer (since we are dealing with HPs which are in the HW domain).

Another solution might be: (when using a separate headphone amp with stereo AND aux inputs like the behringer powerplay series):

Feed your L/R mix to the phones-amp stereo-in, and use a send in Cubase to feed extra signals to the musicians. For example I send a “drum-subgroup aux” AND a “bass- aux send” to the drummer’s aux mix, with the “mix” knob on the phonesamp you can now balance the signal between l-R mix and Aux level. This works fine, no complaints. Also very convenient for singers, as you can give them just themselves on the aux (pre-fader or even an aux from the input-channel), and your L/R mix. I can create upto 12 separate stereo-mixes for the musicians this way, using the system explained above. (1 stereo out to all phoneamps (12 separate headphone outputs, two units in the recording room, one in the controlroom), 3 stereo auxes and 6 mono auxes or 12 mono auxes, 3 stereo speakersets connected to CRM and a headhone for me using the controlroom-phones. For every phonesamp output I have a “listen jack” at my position (using a speaker-multicable from the 8 recordingroom-phone-amps), so I can listen in.
When I need a click I usualy set up a VSTI for this, as this seems more flexible routingwise. Create a subgroup when you run out of sends. (I never did, usualy not everybody needs/wants the clicktrack)…
For talkback I usualy also set up a “normal” channel for me, linked with some “room-mikes” with high gain, compression and eq (ducked) to communicate.
Also some people are fine with just the l/r mix in my studio…

Thx for the replies! The workarounds are great and I’m already using a similar workaround but the reason of my post is to ask Steinberg to fix it instead of using workarounds. I know It’s not a bug, but it’s a limitation we shouldn’t have that’s all. My workflow is already full of workarounds and most of the time it makes things more complicated, bring more problems or make my workflow less efficient so that’s why I’m asking for real permanent solutions from Steiny. Thx for the help :wink:

I guess you are right, it is all workarounds. I agree with Martin.

To be honest, question is – why are there limits of number of busses?

So the same goes for max number of sends, studiosends, and inserts I guess. Would be great if this behaviour was changed indeed. Feature request? (Nomore limits on the creation of…)

+1.

From the Cubase manual, page 213.

"Phones
The Phones channel is used by the engineer in the control room to listen to cue mixes. It can also be used to listen to the mix or to external inputs on a pair of headphones. Furthermore, the Phones channel can be used for previewing. It is not intended for cue mixes that performers use while recording.

Cue Channels
Cue channels are intended for sending cue mixes to performers in the studio during recording. They have talkback and click functions, and can monitor the main mix, external inputs, or a dedicated cue mix. Up to four cue channels can be created allowing for four discrete cue mixes for performers.
For example, if you have two available headphone amplifiers for performers to use, create one cue channel for each headphone mix and name them according to their function, for example Vocalist mix, Bassist mix, etc."

Hope this helps.

Thx, but the problem is about being limited in numbers :S Please read previous comments.