First mix attempt with Cubase 7

Hi guys

This is a song I wrote sometime back, for an ol’ flame… :blush: :laughing: originally recorded into cubase 6, but recently mix in cubase 7. Would love your feed back as i really want this song to sound and be great :wink:

https://soundcloud.com/chris-wyatt-music/chris-wyatt-this-love-from-you

Thanks

Chris

Nice playing and singing, sounds good.
The toms sound wrong to me, they don’t fit the song. They’re almost timpanis :wink:
I would also try another snaredrum with a steeper attack and a bit more bottom end to it.
The last fill at 3:47 sounds a bit sloppy on the drumroll, I would check the timing on that.

It’s a good song though, nice build up!

I would say great attempt! Liked the vocals a lot and the harmonies, nice tune and lyrics. The only thing that caught my ears is the drums as mentioned before. You need a more powerful drum set to support the song. Great song!

Thanks for the critique guys, the more input I can get the better. Very keen to enter this tune into some song comp’s, but want it to be right first :mrgreen:

I’ll try what you suggested with the drums…

Regards

Chris

The snare is fine, just adjust the toms tuning.

A proper song…brilliant !!..really commercial sound, well done…production sounds good to me, of course we would all do it different but either way it’s a really good song…Kevin

The snare is fine, just adjust the toms tuning.

Yeah gonna check out those toms, they do sound a bit “timpani” :laughing:

Thanks Kevin, been reading up a shiiit load about mixing, wanted to give this song my best shot :stuck_out_tongue:

Regards

Chris

Great song and really nice musically - Vocals work well, gtr bass and drums too. I am wondering about verbs used on drums as I would think that in this style (being a Nashville native lol) you’d want a tighter sound. Small room (you should hardly notice it) on everything or less ambiance/room in mic setup. I am also wondering if the brush works on snare after whole band comes in. It’s very effective on beginning but maybe a crack snare or blasticks would help where the song starts to pump, no problem for a good drummer to switch from brush to stick. Tighten up the kick, maybe just changing verbs will help
Out of curiosity what effects are you using on vocal?

Yea I Agree with kzarider. Use a center struck snare here and there with
less reverb on the Toms. I played with a drummer once who would
use “Wooden Brushes” and just switch them around when he wanted a
Center Struck snare for this kind of a song. :wink:

Nice song Chris :smiley:

Jack :slight_smile: :smiley:

I’ll let the others comments focus on the drums etc. The guitar sounds good both in sound and performance. I actually think the speed of the song is just too slow. I like the melodies, the chord progression and overall sound. But it’s just 5-10 bpm too slow to really sound good to me. The energy that it’s missing, especially for the choruses really just sounds like a speed thing and that’s my biggest criticism. It sounds like it should be that little bit faster.

The pitch of some of the vocal notes are off a bit too, especially the harmonies. Overall the vocals sound good and some transitions you do well and there’s also definitely character there, but I’d focus on hitting more of the notes spot on really. I mean there’s no reason not to practice things like that, especially when you seem to have good songwriting skills and musical instincts. If you already are practicing those things then great! But some people say the opposite to advice like that and to me it’s just absolutely senseless when many musicians do so.

If you’re going to enter it into competitions I’d suggest dropping the harmonies as they are at the moment, they’re just not tight enough in regards to pitch and I think it’d hurt your chances of winning as opposed to if you maintained the solo vocal. The rest of the vocals are mainly good anyway and the catchy chorus element is definitely the strongest point.

Great song and really nice musically - Vocals work well, gtr bass and drums too. I am wondering about verbs used on drums as I would think that in this style (being a Nashville native lol) you’d want a tighter sound. Small room (you should hardly notice it) on everything or less ambiance/room in mic setup. I am also wondering if the brush works on snare after whole band comes in. It’s very effective on beginning but maybe a crack snare or blasticks would help where the song starts to pump, no problem for a good drummer to switch from brush to stick. Tighten up the kick, maybe just changing verbs will help
Out of curiosity what effects are you using on vocal?

Thanks KZArider, I appreciate your input. I think one gets to close to their work and sometimes fresh ears notice certain “flaws” if you will, that can be improved. I will have a look at the reverb. And yes I agree with the snare sound probably in the bridge to final chorus. Will sound cool :sunglasses:

The vocals are just compression (a touch of parralel compression), EQ and reverb. The only natural effect would be double tracking to thicken it out.

Thanks for listening, and will post again soon with an update.

Cheers, Chris

Yea I Agree with kzarider. Use a center struck snare here and there with
less reverb on the Toms. I played with a drummer once who would
use “Wooden Brushes” and just switch them around when he wanted a
Center Struck snare for this kind of a song.

Nice song Chris

Jack

Thanks Jack :smiley: Ya I honestly agree with you guys, gonna sort that out. Thanks for the input guy!! :mrgreen:

Cheers, Chris

I’ll let the others comments focus on the drums etc. The guitar sounds good both in sound and performance. I actually think the speed of the song is just too slow. I like the melodies, the chord progression and overall sound. But it’s just 5-10 bpm too slow to really sound good to me. The energy that it’s missing, especially for the choruses really just sounds like a speed thing and that’s my biggest criticism. It sounds like it should be that little bit faster.

The pitch of some of the vocal notes are off a bit too, especially the harmonies. Overall the vocals sound good and some transitions you do well and there’s also definitely character there, but I’d focus on hitting more of the notes spot on really. I mean there’s no reason not to practice things like that, especially when you seem to have good songwriting skills and musical instincts. If you already are practicing those things then great! But some people say the opposite to advice like that and to me it’s just absolutely senseless when many musicians do so.

If you’re going to enter it into competitions I’d suggest dropping the harmonies as they are at the moment, they’re just not tight enough in regards to pitch and I think it’d hurt your chances of winning as opposed to if you maintained the solo vocal. The rest of the vocals are mainly good anyway and the catchy chorus element is definitely the strongest point.

Thanks Jonathan. Before you reply’d I was playing back the song and my gut feel told me this is a tad to slow. :astonished:
I think thats one of the downfalls of recording to a click track, it become robotic and loses feel. :neutral_face:

I am going to bump up the tempo, and apply tempo variations to help the song flex a bit more.

I appreciate your input. This forum definetly serves it’s purpose :smiley:

Cheers, Chris

Sounds really good. Nice vocal track. The thing that sticks out for me is the kick drum. Either it’s the wrong kick or too loud or something, to my ears. I also agree strongly with switching from brushes to sticks once it gathers steam. If that’s a picture of the person you were writing about, well, I wish that your lyrics did the trick.

Sounds really good. Nice vocal track. The thing that sticks out for me is the kick drum. Either it’s the wrong kick or too loud or something, to my ears. I also agree strongly with switching from brushes to sticks once it gathers steam. If that’s a picture of the person you were writing about, well, I wish that your lyrics did the trick.

Hey Leon, ya after I loaded this sample up , I played the track in my car and I’z like, woaw that kick is a tad to full :astonished: :laughing: So I reduced the 80hz bump I put on there and lowered the level, reduced the reverd as kzarider suggested and it sounds a lot better. :slight_smile:
Also been working on the new snare track, trying to get a sound that blends well but also comes forward with a bit of balls, its coming together though :laughing:

Cheers, Chris

The mix sounds good, I liked the vocals and the composition as well…

The mix sounds good, I liked the vocals and the composition as well…

Thanks guy, busy working on an update version with a few tweaks as suggested above. Thanks for listening and commenting, appreciate it :smiley:

Cheers, Chris

Cool commercial sounding song. I think you did a great job. My only critique would be the drums as others have mentioned. I would like to hear more realistic sounding drums. Any chance of having a real drummer play on this?

Thanks :smiley: At the moment I have a small “bedroom studio” :laughing: but for future definitively a real drummer. Until then though I will use whatever means possible :slight_smile: Thanks for the comment !

Cheers, Chris

Really sounds good to me.