[Video] Overture

Wow, thats some very nice playing!

Body and neck is a great mic setup for accoustic guitar. I used almost the exact same setup on a track I did recently…

Re: “Twin” A new track from the project I’m working on

Postby Karl » 03 Mar 2011 08:55

twilightsong wrote:I thought I had commented on this in another thread

But now I must ask for acoustic guitar recording “secret” --signal chain, etc

No real secret to it. Recorded in my finished basement… carpeted floor, normal drywall etc…nothing unusual, ceiling is about 7.5 ft high. As a recording space for acoustic guitar, it’s probably no different from a normal bedroom home studio.

I used 2 mic’s, an AKG C414 XL2 on the body of the guitar, about 12" away, and a Sennheiser e914 small diaphram condensor pointed at the neck/13’th fret, also at about 12" away. The sound you hear is a mix of the two with a bias towards the Sennheiser (the neck mic will give you more of the sharp/percussive “string” sound but will also be a bit thin).

Both mic’s ran through a Steinberg MR816 mic pre (which I use solely as a mic pre/converter because it’s performance as a firewire audio interface doesn’t come close to my RME interfaces).

Very light compression on the track (just used a Steinberg Cubase standard compressor plugin) and a reverb send to a Waves Rennaisance Verb plugin (dont recall the preset i used but i did minor tweaking…mostly on the pre-delay and diffusion settings).

Dont recall what brand guitar it was, a pretty nice one but nothing spectacular.

Some folks (myself included) like to use a small diaphragm condenser for the neck…the smaller size can give a possibly better high freq response.

BTW…for whatever reason, the 13’th fret generally seems to be the best place to start aiming at.