POLL: Happy/Unhappy AND what sample rate do you run at?

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
DaveDaveDave

POLL: Happy/Unhappy AND what sample rate do you run at?

Post by DaveDaveDave »

I for one am not very happy with Cubase 6, and I'm eagerly awaiting the update. I happen to be using it at 48khz and 96khz. Everytime I look to see if anyone else has experienced a bug with Timewarp, audiowarp, variaudio, midi-timing, it *seems to me* that they're also using some other sample rate besides 44.1khz. I'd bet that if I was using 44.1khz, I'd be a happy camper - but I want to know... is there a correlation?

Chime in!

Dave
Cubase 6.0.3, Wavelab 7, Halion 3.5, Halion Sonic, Groove Agent 3
MC Control/Mix iMac RME UFX

DaveDaveDave

Re: POLL: Happy/Unhappy AND what sample rate do you run at?

Post by DaveDaveDave »

unhappy/ 48khz and 96khz

guitargod414

Post by guitargod414 »

pretty happy thus far. no big issues other than some crashing at first when i had Novation Automap installed. removed that and its been pretty stable.
i never really understood using 48khz or 96khz unless you are using the tracks with video. in fact, my audio engineering school basically recommended against it (granted that was like 2003). the basic reasoning at the time (when CD's were still king, although mp3's were growing quickly), is that if you were going to export to 44.1 for a CD or common .wav (for compatablity), the math the computer had to do to divide from 48 to 44.1 is fairly intense. 44.1 or 88.2 made a lot more sense in that reguard (divide by 2).
i have done many blind tests with several people and no one could really tell the difference. but hey, to each their own. if you think its better, go with it!

cheers,
dean
i7 quad 4790k, 16 GB ram, MSI Z97 SLI plus, win10 64, Cubase 8.35, Waves Mercury, TC Powecore FIrewire, UAD2, UR 824

Sheldy13

Post by Sheldy13 »

I'm a happy noob: 44.1 (I mainly use 44.1 because of all the problems I've heard about it)
Win 7 Pro 64-bit, LGA1155 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 2600k 4.5GHz Quad 8 meg cache with HT, Mushkin - 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 1.6v 9-9-9-24, 1x500GB 16Meg Sata II Perpendicular ST3500418AS, 2x1TB (1000G) Sata II 32meg cache, TI Firewire, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Cubase 7 64-bit

sturgeon

Post by sturgeon »

Not happy with several 96kHz related issues.
Cubase Pro 10.0.5, IC Pro, W10 Pro x64, Xeon X5675 (4gHz Hexa Core 12 Thread), Asus P6T, 12 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Triple Channel RAM, Samsung EVO 840 SSD x 1, 2 x SATA300 HD, EMU 1616m PCIE. Coolermaster V 700W PSU, ATI R5 230 2GB Passive GPU. 2 x 22" Benq Monitors, Focusrite VRM

NorthWood MediaWorks

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks »

You guys need to learn how to make your messages into a proper poll (look near the bottom of the message editor)! ;)

So far, I am happy, only had C6 for about one month however, and limited time to really dig in. Lanes and Elastic are cool.

I prefer 96k, but depending on what the project is all about, less. I get the lowest latency at 96 of course.
Robin
Visit Northwood Mediaworks!
| Cubase Pro 8.5.20 | Wavelab 8.0.3e | HSO | Padshop Pro | Win10pro 64 | i7 16Gb | UR44 | Angry Wife |
| OSX 10.12.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15 | Loads of Other Stuff |

michael

Post by michael »

not happy
48khz
was going for a 64bit version,since the vstbridge is CRAP Im back to old 32bit version on a 64bit system...
not happy

crofter

Post by crofter »

44.1, happy, don't see the point in using anything else.

Tomateck

Post by Tomateck »

crofter wrote:44.1, happy, don't see the point in using anything else.
+1
Cubase 6, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, iMac Intel i3 3Ghz, 12GB ram.

andyjh

Post by andyjh »

All OK here at 44.1KHz,

my output only ever goes to CD (and mp3), so no need for anything other than 44.1KHz for me.
Master: Windows 10 64-bit / i7 7820X / 32GB RAM / Dual Monitors / Steinberg UR824 / MOTU Midi Express 128
Slave: Windows 7 64-bit / i7 / 16Gb RAM / Dual monitors / Emu 1820m. Networked via VE Pro
Cubase Pro 10, Absolute 3 (Halion 6), Wavelab Pro 9.0, Dorico Pro 2.1.1
Equipment list: - more than I need : Plug in list:- definitely more than I need

matjones

Post by matjones »

Happy @ 44.1.. not happy @48/96 though! we use different rates for different jobs here so a bit of a mixed bag!
Cubase 10.5.12 Asus Z390-Plus, i9 9900 @ (3.7) 5GHz, 64GB DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel/Fusion, UAD2 Octo/Solo/Quad, UA6176, Neve 8801/8803, Loads of plugs, WL10, Melodyne Studio 5, Arturia VC7, iZotope MPS, Eventide XI, Various toys, Telefunken, Neumann, AKG, Austrian Audio, Sontronics, Shure Mics, Adam A7X and Avantone monitors, AKG K702, ATH-M70x, Nektar P6, Warwick, Spector Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they're open.

Conman

Post by Conman »

Anything other than 44.1 has been throwing up problems for years. All 5 of my systems have been happy with that.
When you run other than 44.1 I guess you really have to look at the soundcard settings so it's all in a line.
Some cards can be really picky. Also when you do find a problem look at the soundcard forums to see if yours has issues that you may not have seen here.

And do you really need 48 or 96 etc? They certainly don't sound any better or if they do sound better it's negligible. My amp goes to 11 and it's always blowing up.
Asus P6T deluxe; Core i7 920 2.67gHz; 12gig ram; Win7 Pro SP1; Roland Octa-Capture usb inteface; Cubase 6; and no 3rd party additions couple of hard drives PSU 750watt; NVidia GE Force 9600.
"An entrepreneur accepts that the world is the way that it is and goes about changing it rather than waiting for someone to make it easy for them."

DaveDaveDave

Post by DaveDaveDave »

Conman wrote:And do you really need 48 or 96 etc?
Yes, some people do. Film for instance...

Audiocave

Post by Audiocave »

DaveDaveDave wrote:Yes, some people do. Film for instance...
Not to mention people just handing you projects that were not recorded at 44.1. Some people seem to forget that in some cases Cubase is being used in actual commercial studios and that their own personal preferences for pop tunes or sample rates at home don't play into the larger picture of what someone else may demand.

johngar

Post by johngar »

I run at 48k. Happy.
I don't use variaudio, so...
I use midi in almost every project, no problems.
PC | Nuendo 10 | i7-4930k | Win10 | 32gb ram | Intensity Pro | Radeon HD7700 | RME9632 | Euphonix MC Control -Mix - Transport | Generic

artifactdetroit.com

DaveDaveDave

Post by DaveDaveDave »

bump

Post by Guest »

Still on C5 but have tuned my system fairly well to run @ 48 khz 24bit.

Will not be updating until 5.53 is a reality, as I am weighing my options to purchase artist prior to upgrading cubase.

(would love nuendo but that's another matter)

JohnOnKeyz

Post by JohnOnKeyz »

Happy @ 48Khz and very stable.
It's all my StudioLive will give me anyway. But I've been using this rate for years without problems.
John
(Maryland, USA)
~~~ the Aftereffekt ~~~ - - - - - | | | - - - - - ~~~ Slyd Studios ~~~

Post by Guest »

It's the sample rate I most often use so I can empathize with others here and their issues and as pointed out by Mr Washington, tracking at 96Khz and dithering down in the pool is something I do when reworking (midi) drums.

Oh and where is this poll BTW :?:

Post by Guest »

+1 44.1khz

Post by Guest »

Considering Windows defaults to 48Khz (when it works) you'd think that would now be the *standard*.

Mauri

Post by Mauri »

Brains wrote:It's the sample rate I most often use so I can empathize with others here and their issues and as pointed out by Mr Washington, tracking at 96Khz and dithering down in the pool is something I do when reworking (midi) drums.

Oh and where is this poll BTW :?:
Dithering is not used when converting sample rates, it is used as the last stage of processing when changing the bit rate.
Say, from 32bit or 24bit to 16bit to finalise a mix, usually at the mastering stage.

+ at 44.1KHz here.

Mauri.
Cubase Pro 10.5 x64 with jBridge | WaveLab Elements 10 | i7 5930K @ 4.6GHz (stable) | ASUS X99 Pro | 32GB RAM | | W10 x64 Dual Boot on 2 SSDs plus 3 SSDs for samples and project/audio files | Fractal Design Define R5 case | Noctua NH-D15 | AMD Radeon RX 580 | Vox ToneLab SE | Mackie HR624 MKII | 2 x UAD2 Solo PCIe | RME HDSPe AIO | 2 x 24" LED monitors...

Post by Guest »

Mauri wrote:
Brains wrote:It's the sample rate I most often use so I can empathize with others here and their issues and as pointed out by Mr Washington, tracking at 96Khz and dithering down in the pool is something I do when reworking (midi) drums.
Dithering is not used when converting sample rates, it is used as the last stage of processing when changing the bit rate.
Say, from 32bit or 24bit to 16bit to finalise a mix, usually at the mastering stage.
I don't notice too much of a difference when I downsample audio files in the pool but mostly like Dr Washinton I like to track at 96Khz and resample at 48Khz but I always stay in 24 bit.

So would I be right that only 16bit is possible using the CD format and the only way around it is to use DVD?

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”