VST Connect & VST Connect SE - Solution Thread

Hi DiSky,
pls don’t confuse UDP with UPnP. VST Connect doesn’t deal with UPnP at all. And The Hub problems might well be related.
UDP is the protocol which VSTC uses to connect to the connection server when you engage the login button. In general, this is no different than sending a search request to Google, because like Google, the server is wide open to welcome your request. This is quite different from me sending a request to your computer, because your firewall is not expecting this and not williing to let anything in just like that.
When Google replies, your firewall has remembered that you sent a request recently and therefor let the reply in.
The only difference with VST Connect is that your browser uses the htp protocol while VSTC uses UDP. This works close to 100% on almost every connection because there is nothing bad with UDP at all. But firewalls can be set to block UDP packets either on the outgoing request (less likely) or the incoming messages.
Unfortunately (in this case) there are often 2 firewalls to look at: the one of your router, and the “software” firewall in your computer (like Windows Firewall). Either of those may have been set to generally block UDP, probably on the incoming side. Except for when there is actually no internet connection, or the connection server is down (pretty much never), connecting to the connection server has never failed.
Things are quite more difficult when you want to establish a peer-to-peer connection as you would do later on. But that has nothing to do with your problem. Bottom line is: the connection server always welcomes requests and replies reliably, so it is very likely that one of your firewalls is set to block UDP traffic (probably incoming). If you tell me exactly what you have I may try to figure out wher to look.
One final thought…whichever software firewall you use, why not switch it off and see if the message vanishes and you get a key. When you have all other applications closed nothing bad can happen. Then at least you’d know whether that was the culprit.
So when you say you switched off your firewall, which one is that? And how to you tell “internet works fine”, do you tell by googling or how else?
Hope that helps,
musi