The bar 1000 issue

A crazy thing is happening to me for a long time.

When I have a project that goes beyond lets say something like bar 1000 the editing windows like piano roll, drum roll, sample editor and so become more a more harder to edit. Things just get to stuck more and more and it gets harder to edit as the bar number goes up and up.

I`m currently editing arround bar 2000 and it is terribly noticible. All plays fine but editing becomes a terrible patience job. A move of one note takes double the time for instance.

The more curious effect is, if I go to say bar 50 all editing windows go perfectly fine and the workflow is normal.

Has anyone experienced this? Any solutions? Any ideas? (Cubase 6.05)

How much memory and are you on the 64 bit version of cubase.
Hippo

3Gb ram
Cubase 32bit

theres your answer. no more memory

So you say a clip of one or two bars will take more Ram in the 1000 and upper bars to edit that on the first bar? Makes no sense. If it was a Ram issue all project would be affected, definitly zooming and other stuff on the main window, That is not happening.

Just finished doing the simplest experience. One midi drum clip on the first bar. I open the drum editor and I can move the notes around quickly. The same clip is copied to bar 5000. I open the drum editor and the note movement lags a lot, at least one second diference from the clip on the first bar.
In this exemple there`s only one midi track and two midi clips. As simple has could be.
Every editing window proves to have this problem. The bigger the project the bigger the problem. Lags the workflow a lot in bigger projects.

Make this experience for yourself and tell me what results did you have.

Here’s a thought? Maybe Cubase references from the start of a project. Say you move a midi note that is twelve bars out from the start of your project. OK move out to bar 1000 and it may still be referencing that start.

If you write music by hand, it’s bar to bar but maybe a recording program is different. That’s my thought, and you seem to be proving it’s merit.

BTW, 5000 bars? Maybe you should figure out a way to break up your recording, maybe 500 bars at a time or something? Well, not judging.

Who writes a 1000 bar song? And as Mr Roos says if you do write opuses that big take an old composers trick and write it on several Project sections. The old guys had to do that with paper.

It will be a memory limitation and a midi dataflow limitation as well. Look up how data flows through a computer and you will get the picture of how midi dataflow can hit bottlenecks thus slowing down the machine.
We haven’t got to the CPU yet.
See my signature below this? Can you supply similar info? Windows key + Pause and info there will suffice to give everyone a clue. Thanks.

not true. Cubase probably can fit the first few hundred bars into real memory, after that Windows starts to crap out and run out of memory and Cubase runs out of memory and they both start to fight each other for space and then Windows moves to the hard drive swap file and then Cubase loads the wavs at bar 1000 off the hard drive , into the windows memory at which time windows saves it to its memory swap file (on the hard drive…) and then pumps the data through the eye of a needle of the small amount of real memory that is left…man your hard drive light must be solid on around this time…this is why things slow down more and more…

Blackout’s about summed it. This is just a “non-real-world issue” as anyone with a half idea how computers work (me) sees the limitations immediately and just wouldn’t go that far.

A real world use for 1000+ bars editing is a 1.5 hour gig (multi-track) recording. I first did this a few years back and I even tempo warped it all so that the click followed the drums, which made it a lot easier to edit the other instruments to the grid. You may say split it up, but sometimes it’s not that easy with songs joined together. Worked OK for me as long as I kept bouncing the edits as I went along.

Granted, probably not a great need in the Cubase community for this but I’ve so far edited and mixed about 3 or 4 gigs of this length for videos and/or live CDs.

Mike.

I record and edit quite a lot of live gigs. The more I read that the less sense it makes. Must be just me. :mrgreen:

Unless my math is wrong, 1000 bars at 120 bpm is a little bit over 30 minutes.

I imagine anyone scoring or editing the audio for a short movie or documentary might have a timeline well beyond 30 minutes. Not to mention the memory the actual video clip itself will use.

Not sure how they do feature films in Nuendo… if it runs out of memory at bar 1000.

Yer, your maths is correct. And sometimes I compose music for vids which are longer, as well as live gigs, and I haven’t really noticed any problems with 1000+ bars. I haven’t tested the OP’s suggestion, but if I remember I’ll give it a go sometime!

Mike.

Well, it’s not a single song, but my live set for one of the bands I’m in is over 10,000 bars long as a project.

Multiple songs, some with playback tracks, some with only a click…but I have no issues.

Cubase 6.53 - OSX 10.7.5, 32bit, 4gig - with Reason rewired in…

I’m going 64bit now that I’m using Machfive 3 instead of Reason for my live synths.

I’ve been scoring features using a single session for quite a while now. In one session I also kept old picture versions and the corresponding cues, and with that amount of stuff the key editor got too slow for the latter picture versions. But not the first one in the session. So it sounds like the same problem.

One possible explanation would be if this has something to do with the way Cubase calculates where the grid lines fall in the key editor, by stepping through the session from the beginning to where you are right now. This would make this particular problem CPU-bound rather than RAM. Too little RAM would manifest itself throughout the session by the OS swapping constantly, not just later on in the session. However, you might as well upgrade from your 3GB, because it’s a little tight for OS X anyway.

I’m on i7-2600K with 32GB RAM on Win7 here, for what it’s worth. The UI performance of Cubase on OS X is worse than Windows to begin with, and in case you have a slower CPU as well, then I would say that’s what explains why you hit the limit at 1000-2000 bars rather than the around 5000 where I seem to get it.

Well yeah. Then there’s project / CD mastering on the timeline. A CD length project would be over 30 minutes if all the songs / tracks are stair-stepped down and across tracks so you can randomly cue tracks without soloing.

There are more than a few situations that might put the timeline past 1000 bars (at a certain project tempo anyway).