Ability to display both sharps & flats in key editor

The problem is itā€™s only sharps, no flats at all in the key editor and the drop down lists. (including the the Project Key)

This is not a problem in the Score editor of course, that has been sorted well imo.

1 Like

bumping thisā€¦

+1
I brought this up at least a year ago.

Perhaps the new London notation team will have a solution
in an up-date/grade.

Hope so.
{ā€˜-ā€™}

Iā€™ve just re-read my post from last night and itā€™s ambiguous. I didnā€™t mean the problem lay with the Project Key, I meant that they might be able to solve it in part from there. But in the cold light of day Iā€™m no longer sure itā€™s such a great ideaā€¦ (it was late)

Donā€™t worry. Iā€™ve just gone over my life from the past few decades. Itā€™s also ambiguous. :wink:

I know that one, I just keep taking the medsā€¦ :wink:

They gave you meds!!!???
:slight_smile:

{ā€˜-ā€™}

• 1 . good time saver too

+1. The whole ā€œeverything is a sharpā€ is just plain wrong - if you set the key then it should respect that. It means I make mistakes sometimes when explaining something to a class, so I canā€™t imagine how confusing they find it when theyā€™re not even comfortable with key signatures etcā€¦

Cā€™mon guys,

We all know that notation/score users are the ā€˜red-headed-step childrenā€™ of Cubase.

But IMHO it is getting a lil better. (a lil.)

As of C4 I gave up completely and went over to Finale and then Sebelius.
(To be honest I used Finale before I ever heard of Cubase. 1992-3)

I tried again with C5 and hardly even touch it with C6.

I am not sure what changed (maybe me) but as of C7 I can now score in Cubase.

Nothing heavy duty yet but scoring for my choir and orch at church
can now all be done in Cubase. And it prints beautifully.

IMHO
It will just get better going forward, But I still keep Sebelius at the ready.

{ā€˜-ā€™}

+1

+1

Itā€™s not just score though, Iā€™m talking about key and list editors (and indeed throughout Cubase) - if a key has been set, it should be reflected here.

I long ago (i.e. in the late 90s) gave up any chance of the score editor getting fixed properly!

Actually, this problem does not exist in Score Edit, obviously. curteye probably meant that itā€™s score users who care so much about sharps and flats display, but thatā€™s not the subject of this free-ranging thread. :astonished:

I do lots of work in Score edit, itā€™s great for small ensemble stuff.

+1 DEFINITELY! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman!

However, I still come across this all the time - itā€™s incredible how confusing it can be when youā€™re trying to teach someone whoā€™s just getting their head around key signatures and some basic theory, and you then have to tell them that despite you saying that there are flat keys they all get displayed as sharps in Cubase. When a kid just about understands that thereā€™s a B flat in the key of F and then has to make the mental jump to having an A and an A# in his work, itā€™s incredibly hard for some of them (Iā€™d say just about all who donā€™t have a formal music background before I start teaching them).

Come on, Steinberg, it canā€™t be that hard to do? (If you can be bothered, of course!)

I too would love to have resolution to this, it drives me batty to be in Eb and see all the sharps.

1 Like

Fingers crossed a fix is just around the corner.

C8 still the same problem :frowning: ā€¦ itā€™s very very confusing thinking in flats and see sharps! ā€¦one day we will be happy to see flats in the key Editorā€¦I hope very soon

I posted about this in cubase 8 issues, got shunted to the ghetto, I think. Itā€™s so unmusical not to be able to define a note as what it should look like in a certain context. So, nope, not fixed. But a good suggestion. The first time i saw D# in an Ab major section ā€¦ well ā€¦

+1 and more please Steinberg! It makes no musical sense as it is now.

Mike.

YES +1 !! Why canā€™t you set the key of the project globally?