Advantages to using the mixer?

Bare in mind with the example above that is a typical monophonic instrument mix approach. Other instruments that are recorded in stereo are handled a lot differently. With routings for stereo recorded instruments, you will see a lot of M/S, ORTF, spaced pair and near/far. For instance, I will have a mic or 2 up close to a guitar amp to achieve the meat and potatoes of the sound and this is blended through a mix. Then there may be a single mic stood out a few feet in front of it, one 5 feet above or a M/S setup.

That is why you see me post a lot “Take into context the entire song mix before you place a single microphone” You can achieve a lot of spatial work without the use of plugins. If everything is taken into account before recording, you will decide to record certain ways for certain spatial results. I will intentionally place a M/S setup off center if I am going to place that way in a mix, or I will use 2 different microphones in a spaced pair to offset the stereo image as well and have an accompanying instrument recorded the same way flipped to balance the stereo field. Now I set them on up on mixer views and just by raising one fader, the image shifts to one side or the other, or I can widen a group simply by pulling the centers of their M/S setups down. All in the context of how things work with and against each other.