Advantages to using the mixer?

I’m a mouse dude… I have one motorised fader for tweaking, but otherwise it’s mouse all the way.

hehehe, I had a similar false alarm when the heater kicked on for the first time of the year a couple years ago. Something in the heater went poooof, but the blower carried the smell into the room. :laughing:

Is that a FaderPort, or CC121, or “Tranzport”?

Alphatrack…

I don’t know what you are going to see because for the most part, the monitor is going to be off after all the sound has been sculpted. What I will do is fire the rig on and show you the routings I do.

Stand by…

I thought you owned “big” studio :mrgreen:

A couple of examples. Different artists, same approach.

Better example

Faders a studio does not make :laughing:

I have a big desk, it’s for putting things on :mrgreen:

Thanks for taking the time to do that, Tom. It’s a cool looking setup.
I actually didn’t take very much away from that, learning wise, because you were giving the
‘quick overview’, and most of the time I didn’t know exactly what I was looking at or how you got there.

I noticed you did have a lot of those tracks automated with the Read button on so you must’ve taken some time
automating ‘premix’ - then leaving certain tracks free for you to ride the faders in the final mix?

Anyway - I did take away one time saving tip - I took note of the key command for ‘desktop’. :slight_smile:

I have a 2 tiered Italian designed workstation, with a rack to the left, two computer screens, avantones and a BMC 2 connected with a Roland UA-1G and an X-station and as of today, I think my USB charger means I can play during re-boots without the power going down :sunglasses:

Shush… stop wittering :laughing:

emotive reminds me of someone else, anyone else have a gut feeling?

There we go, cheers :slight_smile:

Have a look at this:

http://woodcreststudio.com/samples/Routing.jpg

I just made it up. The group channels are supposed to be stereo.

Almost every mix is 100% automated. The only exception is demos. With demos, I focus more on achieving a stable dynamite sound. If there is time to automate, I will, but most of the time with quick demos are “Faders Up”

Automation passes are made in view sets. Depending on how I want to mix, I may make a pass of dry treatment blending of the vox for instance with a guitar group. Then come back and do a wet vox pass after. It all depends. The view sets I make are different every time. A lot has to do with the actual dynamics and flair of each instrument, how they play off each other and what frequency domain they fall in. It also depends on how I want to join and position instruments in the stereo field’s width, height and depth. If 2 instruments are counterpointing each other, I will create a view set for that and dedicate a automation write pass dedicated for them.

Bare in mind with the example above that is a typical monophonic instrument mix approach. Other instruments that are recorded in stereo are handled a lot differently. With routings for stereo recorded instruments, you will see a lot of M/S, ORTF, spaced pair and near/far. For instance, I will have a mic or 2 up close to a guitar amp to achieve the meat and potatoes of the sound and this is blended through a mix. Then there may be a single mic stood out a few feet in front of it, one 5 feet above or a M/S setup.

That is why you see me post a lot “Take into context the entire song mix before you place a single microphone” You can achieve a lot of spatial work without the use of plugins. If everything is taken into account before recording, you will decide to record certain ways for certain spatial results. I will intentionally place a M/S setup off center if I am going to place that way in a mix, or I will use 2 different microphones in a spaced pair to offset the stereo image as well and have an accompanying instrument recorded the same way flipped to balance the stereo field. Now I set them on up on mixer views and just by raising one fader, the image shifts to one side or the other, or I can widen a group simply by pulling the centers of their M/S setups down. All in the context of how things work with and against each other.

Thanks again, Tom. I can see how you’ve routed things on that screenshot.
Still, I’d need to be there and see -and hear- it implemented before I’d grasp why such a complex routing setup is
preferable to a simpler one.

The reason for that routing scheme it to have the send levels on faders so I can shut the screen off, ride and have all the control at my fingertips. If I was mousing, I would not have it that way.

Check your PMs I sent you something.

Gotcha! makes sense to me now. Thanks, Tom. :sunglasses:

All the baked goodies need better and accurate mixing. Better mixing means better taste, better fluff, and better raw material utilization. The planetary mixers ensure the best possible mixing of the ingredients and thus the goodies prepared with it are the best ones. But if you use mixer continuously it may be heating up and so not use a mixer for long term.