Cubase 5.5.3 Mac Quick Controls Crash

Hi there…

I’m having trouble with Cubase closing when I select ‘No Parameter’ in the quick controls section.

I can re-create the crash every time by choosing a quick control field and changing it’s state to ‘NoParameter’.
As soon as I click the workspace area after that Cubase closes and displays the unexpected shutdown message - giving the option to Ignore, report or reopen.

I am using an Akai LPD8 connected via the USB on the back of my Mac Mini running Lion 10.7.3

This also happened when I connected up my M-Audio Ozone via the same method.

My Midi controller is set to CH1 CC1, CH1 CC2, CH1 CC3 and so on…

just to add I have updated the ASIO update too.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Paolo

EDIT: The problem was caused by a Samsung external USB DVD writer pluged into one of the usb slots. Removing this solved the problem

Sorry - just need to re-open this case is it still happens regardless of whether the dvd drive is attached or not.

Removed… (un-needed crash code)

You think you could condense that some? That all isn’t necessary. I might try updating Quicktime/iTunes.

sorry, not posted nothing like this before. What do you need?

Well let me correct myself. All that is necessary, but most of us here can’t translate the latter portion. Here is how I would proceed:

1. Go ahead and trigger the crash. Use the ASIO Performance Meter to monitor your processing power. Does it spike?

2. If not, follow the instructions here.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/removing-the-preferences-of-the-sequencer/kb_back/2025.html

1. If that doesn’t help, I would send your LOG file to tech support, and have them take a look. Send the whole thing. They claim to be able to read those.

Let me know how it works out. :slight_smile:

Hi, my ASIO meter says at 0 so I proceeded to delete all the preference files with the exception of 3 VST2 xml files as cubase wouldn’t load with these removed.

The error I get is “You can’t open the application VSTBridgeApp because PowerPC applications are no longer supported”

with all but the 3 VST2 files removed It then began to work for about 4/5mins but has now returned back to normal.

Very annoying!

thanks btw

The error I get is “You can’t open the application VSTBridgeApp because PowerPC applications are no longer supported”

with all but the 3 VST2 files removed It then began to work for about 4/5mins but has now returned back to normal.

Very annoying!

Try this.

Close Cubase and navigate to your Finder and then Applications.
Cmd-click the Cubase 5.app file, choosing “Show package contents”.
Open Contents/Components
Cmd-click “VSTPlugManager.bundle” and then choose“Show package contents”.
Browse into folder Contents/Resources
Delete"VSTBridgeApp"

That’s for your error message.

Just looking at this now - will let you know how I get on. Thanks.

damn… still crashes pretty much straight away

I’m new to macs which makes this a bit of a pain!!

Could this be a bad midi driver or something of the sort? I had a look through the crash log and for some reason I came to the conclusion that the quick controls were looking for something that wasn’t there which is why it falls over… ?

not sure what this means but i’ve just installed the trial of cubase 6 and the problem doesn’t occur

Have you tried trashing your Cubase 5 Preferences? (app data)

Think so - Is that what Bane was talking me through a couple of posts up?

Well, for me, the link he posted just gives a 404 error here at the moment (and so does trying to access the Knowledge Base directly from the Steinberg site!) . If you managed to get there, did it describe how to create new Preferences?

@vic_france: Yes, that I tried the link and it works. It tells how to trash preferences.

@timelapse: Are you completely sure you got the right folder? :wink: As you said, if Cubase is looking for something that’s not there, this won’t be fixed easily. If this feature is vital to your work I would have to recommend that you do a re-install. :neutral_face:

I’m pretty sure I am but I get the feeling I’m missing something because after I have re-installed I get the VST bridge error message about 5 times.

to uninstall I do the following:

1. Goto the applications folder and delete the cubase application file.

2.Goto Library/Preferences & delete anything related to Cubase & Steinberg.

I also looked in Library/Audio/Plugins/VST but nothing is there.

Is there anything I’m missing?