Mr816x and Pc games

I have a small hobby studio that doubles as a pc gaming rig and I have noticed some strange stuff with pc games. When walking around in games like Fallout New Vegas, Mafia 2, and Skyrim the sound is very directional. If I turn to the side, sound comes from the side perfectly fine but when directly facing a sound source, the sound vanishes. Talking directly face to face with npc’s results in no voice whatsoever. It’s like there is no center channel.

I’m fairly certain this is related to 2.1 sound because when I use my onboard Realtek audio and set it to 2.1 the sound is just fine without the directional fading of sound as you turn with the mouse.

I guess my question is, is there anyway to make the mr816x function like a regular soundcard? I tend to switch between games and DAW work regularly and having to switch back and forth every time is a real pain.

Thanks for any help.

If anyone else runs into this, I figured it out. Windows 7–control panel–sound–right click on yamaha speakers–configure speakers–set to stereo instead of 5.1 surround.

If I had known Steinberg support was so bad, would have never bought this unit.

Now if I can just figure out how to reamp without the insane noise I’d be happy

Were you defaulted to 5.1 stereo?
Is any of your other stuff in 5.1?

That sounds so weird, I’m gonna check my machine when I get home!
This unit is killing me too :frowning:
I might just sell it…

Thanks EdEdge!

configuring the speakers in control panel really works :slight_smile:

I have the same problem, but on the mac!
When I watch a movie I can hear the soundtrack fine, but the conversations are just mumbling.
Do you know how to do the control panel things on the mac?

Hey, thanks for the all information… this is so helpfull to me…