audio replacement

Hello,

in post one sometimes has the problem to replace a sound in a project that is maybe used on different spots and different tracks.I am searching for a"substitude audio" function with a couple of possiboilities like global, timecode, single, etc.
Is there one already that I am not aware of? Thanks for your interest in that topic.
Have a nice day.

Carsten

Me, too… can’t help but think that it must already exist in there somewhere, and I’m just too dull to figure it out.

My objective-- in production dialog and audiobooks-- is to replace bad interstitial noise with room tone, pasting into range size, in shuffle mode. Have never figured out how (if it’s possible) to paste just the range as opposed to the full length of the selected bit of RT.

This under the general umbrella of what you’re looking for, isn’t it, Carsten? And if it’s not… and I’m missing something extremely basic, I really don’t mind looking dumb here! How do you do it?

If you can’t, a huge:

+1

Chewy

Is this what you’re looking for?

Copy the Room Tone to the clipboard. Select bad noise and hit enter (or your personal shortcut) to set left and right locator. Delete noise.
Selecting “Fill Loop” from the Edit menu creates a number of copies starting at the left locator and ending at the right locator.
The last copy is automatically shortened to end at the right locator position.

Martijn.

Don’t know if this will be of any help, but it might work.

Take a file from the pool and drop it on top of the event (in the project window) that you to have replaced, while holding the shift-key.

This replaces the event in the project window by the one you have dropped on top.
When you have multiple instances of this event in the project window, you will be asked if you want to only replace the one, or all.

The only problem is that the files by itself are replaced, not taking into account the edits you’ve made.
But it can work perfectly for some things.

Fredo

Thanks, guys…

I think what Martijn described is closer to what I’m looking for… but I think it still involves more steps than something this basic ought to. Was hoping that there was a “fill range” command, I guess… something that would take the file saved to the clipboard and paste it just into the range selected.

Dont care for the idea of having to set the locators each time (this can happen hundreds of times per chapter!

Will experiment in the morning–and see if there’s maybe something that can be done with these techniques and macros.

Unless there’s a way that we’re all missing!

Thanks again,
Chewy

Well, like I said, setting locators is as easy as hitting a key of your choice. Mine is set to “Return”. If you want to use the range tool you can select the range, hit “return” and then use “fill loop”. You can also turn these 2 commands (“Locators to selection” and “Fill loop”) into a macro. But I don’t think Nuendo will paste anything when the range tool is selected. You’ll have to use some additional commands to make it work, I think.

Let me know if you can make it work. I’m curious.

Martijn.

I at one point did a couple of macros to achieve the goal more or less. I basically copied roomtone throughout on an adjacent track, say above for example (I can’t remember now). So that tone filled that track for the duration of the dialog to be edited. Then while editing I would just select the range on the dialog track where I wanted roomtone instead and hit the macro key. The macro would delete, move up one track (selection maintained), copy, move back down, paste. There was one problem with this and I can’t remember what it was. If I have time I’ll look for it here in the forum later.

The good thing about it was that I created an alternative and had a modifier key trigger it. So if the above was “F” then “Alt F” would cut instead of delete, move down one track and paste, move up two, copy, down, paste. The point of that was for those instances where you want to extract sounds for a dedicated PFX track.

Come to think of it, I think the problem was in creating x-fades.

Either way, in my opinion, this is what makes Nuendo a fantastic app.

Hello Fredo,

what you discribe only solves a part of my problem. This helps if one has to replace events of similar length. But if an ambience, i.e., has to be replaced you have events of the same audiocontent but of different length. And in that case one has to replace one by one manually.
It is surely a good idea to implement a function in the upcoming N6 that gives a choice of replacing audio in different manners like I wrote before single mode, global mode, equal length or timecode mode.

Carsten

What confounds me about this is how close it gets to doing it-- if I have selected a range of RT in the range tool, I can paste the entire selection in, automatically trimming the in and out points to the range-- but the entire “selected” bit gets pasted, not just the range, and I have to trim back to the desired fill range.

I will definitely post results-- though it baffles me that such a basic command isn’t available (or that others haven’t been wanting it!). PT has a range-oriented “replace audio” function, doesn’t it?

Just trying to save keystrokes here…and it looks like, by hook or crook, macros will be the way.

Chewy

I think I remember you posting about that-- a few years ago, right? In fact, I tried it myself on a per-location basis on the show I was editing at the time, and it was a great timesaver.

But for these audiobooks…nine times out of ten I’m creating my own RT , and really never have the need for more than 5 seconds. Your way would work-- and the more I think about it, the setup process really ISN’T a big deal (just means taking that 5 or 6 secs of reconstructed RT and filling the track to an hour or so)… but now I’m kind of obsessed about finding a way to do it straight from “the toolbox”. We’ll see what happens… and thanks!

Chewy

I was also looking for a faster way to replace ambience in dialog tracks as well.
I used the suggestions here, and made a macro, and I was slow today so I made a youtube video of it (wahoo!, my first one)
anyway, maybe all of you already know how to do it, or already have a macro setup , but here it is anyway.

Macro- Fill Range: 17 commands
Used for repalacing audio in clip with a selected range with the audio from a clip on a track directly below the original, it adds 1 frame to each side of the selected range, copies the audio from the track below and pastes it onto the original selcted range and does an auto crossfade, with one keystroke.
The conditions needed are:
Be sure that the audio clip you want to use to replace, is positioned directly under the audio clip you want to replace.
1- Select a range on the track you want to replace the audio.
2- Select Split Range
3- holding Control, drag and drop the clip onto the clip on the second track that has the audio you want to use to replace the range. THIS CLIP SHOULD NOW STILL BE SELECTED. (very important)
Then Executre the Macro

Set up the Macro with these commands:
Tansport - Locate Selection
Navigate - Left
Tansport - Nudge -1 Frame
Edit - Split at Cursor
Navigate - Right
Tansport - Locate Selection End
Tansport - Nudge +1 Frame
Edit - Select Events under Cursor
Edit - Split at Cursor
Navigate - Left
Edit - Delete
Navigate- Left
Tansport - Locate Selection
Edit - Copy
Navigate - Up
Edit - Paste
Audio - Crossfade

Nice work! It’s a lot like the process Lydiot described-- with a contiguous chunk of RT under the dialog track…

…what I’m hoping to figure out is a way to do exactly what your macro does, only based on what’s held in the range tool’s buffer, rather than referring to a separate track for replacement source.

There’s got to be a way. Doesn’t there? I should have developed and maintained my macro skills… was using them a lot in N3 and early N4, but stopped fooling around with them when I got out of the production situation that was making them expedient. Well, here we go again.

Chewy

Edit/add… I have a feeling the key to doing what I’m talking about is actually in the macro you made. Now, if I can just find an hour or so to work on it! :unamused:

I have been looking for this information for ages - thank you so much!