Improvement ideas Cubase 6.5

Totally agree with 1 and 5.

2 and 3 are… already part of Cubase, I thought? In the key editor and project window, I can select a range of points and edit them, be them volume or any other kind of automation. I can make new points and edit those, also draw in curves whether the area is selected or not. If there’s data there already, I can overwrite or edit it. Don’t know why you have to select a range to edit, is that a hidden thing in preferences somewhere?

In any case, could you explain the differences between what you suggest and what we’re doing now? E.G. how do you do these things now (step-by-step), and then how you would like these things to be done.

For 4, you can draw lines for ramps with the line tool. It makes a ton of points to approximate the incline, but, as was said by De-Fine, this is kind of the nature of the beast.

If you mean that you want spline-like entities for automation a la FL Studio’s automation clips, I’m game for that. It certainly won’t change how things sound or how the DAW interprets the data, it just makes drawing and manipulating curves, ramps and lines a little easier.

Yes but it is still not part of the overall volume group if you select all the tracks and try to adjust theirs’ all volumes. And everything hassling beyond those just isn’t good enough.

Hi man. I’m so glad you wrote. So what I mean with the curve of points is that when I want to make, say, a tuning to bass like it would be sliding down the neck, I have to draw the line manually and it writes hell of a lot of dots there. I would like to be able to only do a “ramp” with the starting value (in cue) and the ending value (many keys under the starting value) and make it as a ramp - not just drawing some stupid dots all over and hoping I’ll get them right with my hang-overy hands.

I hope this was all you needed clarification for. If something else, please write and I’ll be more that happy to explain everything.

Please PLEASE could you explain to me how this can be done. I don’t know and this would be a great thing for me.

No taht wasn’t what I meant. I want to be able to adjust ALL TRACKS’ VOLUMES with one click. I mean I could just select all the tracks and adjust all of their volumes at once. I don’t want to adjust them individually.

So that there could be somekind of an master volume to all the tracks. No matter wether there’s automation or not. This current situation sucks cause one has to always adjust each automated track individually. That aside it would be great to be able to adjust the over all track volume with one adjustment. Can’t you just understand that?

No you don’t seem to have the slightest idea what I’m talking about. This is just why I hate forums. They are filled with people who think they know everything.

You shouldn’t start intelligence talk with me since you would only lose. Read my post one more time and answer if that’s what you feel.

Please don’t terll me that you don’t know the diffrerence between a master track and the normal tracks?? You should know my friend that if the initial track kicks over there’s no way to shut it down with a master track. I guess you didn’t comprehend that.

I NEED A TOOL TO LOWER DOWN ALL OF MY TRACKS, WEATHER THEY HAVE AUTOMATION OR NOT. DON’T YOU GET IT???

This is just why I hate forums. People don’t just get it.

No but I only wanna make a RAMP. Not a line of dots. I don’t care if it’s MIDI or not, you still should be able to make a ramp.

Yeah, just like you said. “the overall dots”. Thats’ not what I’m trying to talk about.

No they are not.

I’m trying to explain how to adjust the volume ON ALL THE TRACKS WETHER THEY HAVE AUTOMATION OR NOT. Every track should have their master volume setting. And I’m sure that this will be featured in further versions of Cubase and all of you will be saying “this is just what I’ve wanted”. Blaablaa. But this would be an excellent enhancement in Cubase. ActuALLY it would make it perfect. Having the kind of a master volume setting. I really hope that the administrators of Steinberg read this since this is essential. It cannot be right that one has to manually adjust each automated track. That plain sucks.

Have a look at the Project Logical Editor. I’m pretty sure it can adjust volume automation for multiple tracks at the same time… In a given range or across the entire timeline.

In that case you’d probably tell it to do 2 things since some tracks won’t have volume automation, raise all volume envelopes by 1.5 db and increase the fader volumes by 1.5 db… or whatever (assuming fader gain is in there, don’t recall for sure). As you said earlier, the latter won’t have any effect on automated tracks, will be over-ridden for those tracks as soon as you start the transport… But it will match the gain change for non-automated tracks.

Something to try anyway. Project Logical Editor.

Just as an FYI, some mix engineers put busses after the automation so they still have manual post-automation control if necessary. That might also be something to consider in the future.

Thank you for your answer. I will look into it. But I still find thsat awfully hard way of adjusting the overall volume. It should be a whole lot easier and shouldn’t need anything like Project Logical Editor or nothing like that. I’m sure it will do the trick but it still too damn hard. Mixing the overall volume is however so common need, that it should be able to be managed lot more easily.

Most people just move the master fader or put a gain plug on the master if they prefer to keep the master fader at unity… if they need to adjust the level coming into the master bus.

Anyway, I hope you get it sorted. Good luck to you.

Yeah but master gain is not the answer if one or more of the tracks are clipping. I hope I can it get sorted too. Currently it’s too hard.

I think you should read up a bit on the 32bit floating internal processing and how that works.
It is impossible to clip internally. You can raise the channel faders to max and gain 10dB with EQ if you want, you will not clip internally.
The only stage where you should be careful is the masterfader since that’s the output to the digital to analog converters.
If clipping, lower the masterfader!

You cannot compare the old analog way of mixing with digital… What was the norm in analog is not the same in digital. Especially not when talking about 32bit floating point processing.

There is a project logical editor preset that you can modify that’ll change all volume automation. only it’s in % not dB IIRC.

Or you can select all volume automation and use the info line to drop the automation level across all selected in dB

And/or switch on automation for all relevant tracks, put an automation point on all tracks not automated and apply the above then switch off automation for the non automated tracks.

Or select all non automated tracks that are relevant and drop by the same amount, link faders.

slightly convoluted but usable.

I agree with point 4, it would be good if the key edit Controller entry worked like the main page automation, so a line is a line. These mass of dots tend to frustrate me as well, as nearly all these types of entries are linear fades, so yes - lines not dots please - it is a line tool - so I expect to see a line.

Point 3, I can see why this is a problem, as I have found that by the time you get to 50 or so tracks going, your feed to the master channel can creep up, and if you use a non floating point plug in (like Powercore ones) you will clip them. If I only get minor overs, I use the UAD Precision Limiter first in line in the master channel, to ensure the level doesn’t clip, or if there is a rather over zealous level, I use the master level control at the top of the master channel strip (every Cubase strip has one - it is easily overlooked). Although you have to CTRl or ALT click to adjust it, I usually double click the value box and type in -3 to sort things out.

Damn it, I don’t mean that my individual tracks clip. But the SUM of them do. When you have all the singular trakcs like, say, at -6dB and you have 30 of them, then the sum of them will clip. I would like to be able to adjust all the tracks same time, regardless of wether they have automation or not.

Finally an understanding answer. I have exactly the same problem. I have some 30 tracks with all of them not clipping single, but as they are summed together they will clip. I would like to have some good advises to adjust the overall volume of all the tracks whether they have volume automation or not. It should be a lot of easier than using some goodamn logical editor. Adjusting non-automated tracks is easy so why not including all the automated tracks too. Who can and will use logical editor for that? That is the single most demanded feature to be able to adjust all the volume of all the tracks. I can’t believe anyone else don’t see this.