Play mode (how to remove empty voices)

When entering and editing music in write mode and making voicing changes, Dorico is creating voices in play mode that end up empty when all is said and done. How do I remove these empty voices in play mode?

At the moment, you can’t delete empty voices. We may add a means of deleting these in due course.

Does it not make sense for an empty voice to disappear automatically?

It does to me.

I was just trying to see if there is a way to get rid of whole bunch of empty rows in the play mode. Is this issue to address that? The post is from 4 years ago. Has this issue been addressed? If so, how? Thank you!

I think empty voices are cleared out when you close the document. Reopen it, and only active voices shall appear.

When you say empty rows, what do you mean? Do you mean in the mixer, or on the left side of the Play screen? If it’s the left side of Play, then you have extra players in the Setup page and should delete them from there.

If it’s mixer slots, go to the VST slots on the right side of Play, and click the cog. Check the box that says “number of audio outputs to show in mixer” then put in the number that you want to see.

You could also reload a playback template.

While the cog / dialog to limited the number of outputs in the mixer works, it doesn’t seem to work as well if you want more than one set of outputs and you are using the default Halion Sonic for something. In other plug-ins like Play, I can limit the output to say 3 instruments and it works great. But with Halion SE, I’m always gonna get 16, or I can limit it to 1 by using the check box ,but setting the number of channels to anything else doesn’t take for me. You can get around it with multiple instances of Halion SE. Not sure if Halion 6 is different or not.

Maybe I’m missing something?

Also on the subject, the mixer in Halion SE resets for me when the piece restarts. You can get around that by setting the level in the edit window, but taken together these make using it for more than one output a little inconvenient.

Serum and BioTek work reasonable well, but for reasons I have no idea the full set of modulation is not present when triggered from the score. That is, when you play it from the keyboard you will get a different sound than from notes in the staff.

Oh well, I love Dorico well enough to cope, and it could be my fault. :slight_smile:

I’m trying to understand what you mean with your Halion Sonic SE problems. Can you describe a step-by-step example of what you are doing and what you expect the result to be? Are you loading HSSE manually rather than via a playback template?

Also the HSSE mixer resets because it’s responding to CC7 and CC10 controls which are sent from Dorico. You can set the initial levels in the MIDI mixer section of Dorico and also draw in automation curves in Play Mode.

Sure Paul - and thank you! Let’s say you’re building a Tension Cue, and among other things you have:

Low Drone,
Transition “A” (some sort of shwoossy sound)
Transition “B” (An electronic thud type sound)

I mentioned the type of part as an explanation/excuse of why I’m not generally putting effort into custom maps or multiple instances for these. They are mostly there to create clean edit points between sections

… anyway, they are loaded in three different slots on a single instance of Halion SE, corresponding to MIDI channels 1, 2 and 3. I did this pretty ad -hoc in the Play Tab VST Instrument Side bar after some exploring. I click the cog next to Halion in the right side of the Play Tab, and set the number of midi channels to 3 with the Default map, and you go to the left sidebar and assign each one to a part in the score.

Open the mixer - the channels are there but with 13 blank channels between them and the other instruments in your score. What I expect is what happens with EWQL Play; which as you know can also load instruments into 16 channels. Follow the same process. The 3 Play instruments will show up in the mixer without any blanks for the 13 Play slots that I didn’t use. I gather that a different map will avoid the reset (I should have thought of that, duh)

Odd, with Sonic SE, Sonic, HALion 6, Aria, Bidule, and more…it works as expected here.
Note the example below where I’ve hidden 11 of the 16 faders for a single Sonic SE 3 instance.

Perhaps you forgot to click the little check mark?

Another possibility, though it should still be working, is to go into the mix tab of Sonic, and direct any unused slots to the main pair of outputs.

It would seem that with Dorico 3, they don’t get changed from ‘main’ unless an end point tries to use them, which is good. It could be that at some point there was an end point to more of the instrument slots, and later got removed.

Still, they should be hidden if set up the instance that way…even if the slots are in use by MIDI channels and you just hide the audio faders, and even if there are staves attached. At least that’s been the case for me.

To quote Robin Williams as the Genie from Aladdin: “Well, I feel sheepish…” It’s true that I was auditioning different samples and keeping a few as “possibilities” before I removed them. But I’ve at least demonstrated that that doesn’t matter as long as you check the box like you’re supposed to… I really feel bad wasting any of Paul’s time, but grateful nonetheless. Thank you Brian!

P.S.

Don’t forget that Dorico’s Mixer has two modes.
A normal one for just mixing the actual audio busses.

Or a MIDI enhanced mode, that allows you to do CC based MIDI mixing, and audio bus control ‘independently’.

I guess it is the same problem:
when I ‘Delete Player and Part Layouts’ in Setup Mode they are ALL still there in Play Mode.
Doesn’t make any sense to me…

Where in Play mode are you seeing them, Peer?

All fine Daniel - I had a crash (too many windows open) which caused the problem. Sorry.