Transferring from ex -hard drive cpr files

Hi,

Recently, I bought a new computer and I was trying to transfer a tune (cpr file) to the new computer to work on it. However, when I do and then I remove the external drive I lose elements from the project such as the guitar tracks.

I have tried to “Save As” to another location. I have tried to transfer individual tracks to rebuild the projects. But I am not having much luck.

What should I do?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

1 Like

Use Backup Project which will create a new copy of the Project in its own folder with all the Project’s audio copied into the new folder structure.

Thanks raino. That worked a treat.

For others - I had to create a new folder (location) to save it in because when I went to the usual folder where I save recent files I got a message saying Cubase needed an empty file. But that is not too much of a problem.

If you want to save yourself a bunch of future heartache always create every new Project in its own folder.

Thanks again raino - wise words. Any idea why I sometimes cant hear my audio files? Although I can see them eg the guitar tracks

and I get a message " Cannot create record file"

What do you mean by “can’t hear” - when you put it on a Track it doesn’t play, can the Windows players play the file, can you play it using Media Bay, can you see a waveform for the file?

Regarding the message a few thoughts.

It could be a file permissions problem. Try running Cubase as an Admin.

Is it trying to create the file on a disk that used to exist but doesn’t anymore?

Is it trying to create a file larger that what’s available on the disk.

When you get this message try using Backup Project to create a new Project file structure.

I will try those things raino. I probably wont get to it for a few days.

It is true I should be more descriptive in my explanation.

I can see the audio files (the waveform of guitar Ive recorded) and I can hear the midi instruments (eg drums). I have not tried to export and play the project through a player but it is a great idea. There is plenty of memory on this pc and a relatively small file so that’s not it. I am having a couple of other issues so I want to sort that first before going back to this problem they may be related.

Thanks. You’re a legend!

No, I’m saying play the recording of the guitar using a Windows player. Look in the Pool for the filename and it will be in the Project’s Audio folder. That way you can tell if the recording is correct - but I expect it will be if you can see the waveform.

Double check the guitar’s signal routing. That’s the most likely place for the problem.

You don’t by chance have Monitoring enabled on the guitar Track - that would cause you to hear the input not the Track.

I can hear and see the guitar signal with the IONix u42s having lights that display the sound levels - when trying to record.

I know what u mean by the monitoring enabled on the track, Ive had that issue a few times - its not that.

At the moment, I cannot set up a new project and record. So, I think not being able to hear old recordings transferred to the new computer is related to that.

Yet if I bring up a project created, I can record guitar on that. I think I might remove all the music I tried to add from the external hard drive because the problems began then.

I can hear and see the guitar signal with the IONix u42s having lights that display the sound levels - when trying to record.

I know what u mean by the monitoring enabled on the track, Ive had that issue a few times - its not that.

At the moment, I cannot set up a new project and record. So, I think not being able to hear old recordings transferred to the new computer is related to that.

Yet if I bring up a project created, I can record guitar on that. I think I might remove all the music I tried to add from the external hard drive because the problems began then.

Is there a difference in the Audio Connections for Projects that work & those who don’t?

FYI, literally a few days ago I spent 5 minutes or so trying to figure out why I wasn’t hearing anything, checking settings in Cubase & my audio interface until if finally dawned on me that turning the speakers on would improve the situation.

I was getting this message too - Cannot create record file

What I did to get rid of it was right click on the track, and set the record folder to the folder where the audio was sitting. It worked a charm, no more irritating pop up message.