AMD Ryzen 9 x3950x amazing build

Im alittle bit nervous now when reading about the problem of pci-e cards issue of ryzen. I building right now a similar pc for music production. My cpu will arrive in some days now and its the same cpu 3950x as you have Jouleskeys. My mobo is a gigabyte x570 auros master. The thing is that i have a thunderbolt pci-e card wich i need to connect my soundcard (apollo x6) to. And also i have 2 pci-e card uad2 solos wich i want to use.
I hope there will not be problem to get these to work. My first time with amd now and that make me a little bit nervous to hear your issue about pci-e card

When I look at last generation AMD motherboards, some had up to 14 bios updates in a year.
Intel had 1, the 1 that the motherboard was born with. That is a little bit scary, but could be a non issue.
Anyhow, please report back, Any real life experience using Ryzen in a DAW is rare.
Hope it is a smashing success.

I had bad experiences with my last, and I do mean LAST, AMD. It seemed to me that AMD just doesn’t get their fair share of Quality Assurance Testing from other manufacturers. So, for me it is Intel. It seems pretty unfair to AMD… IMHO.

What seems scary? More updates, or less updates? Lesser updates seems less scary to me.

Congrats on your new blazing machine. I have a similar system to you: Fireface 800, FW Ti card and UAD2 Quad. So I’m curious, did the UAD work without problem on the Asrock Mobo? Also, what did you do for cooling, since that CPU doesn’t come with a fan. Did you buy a standard one or go with a liquid cooler?

As an OSX user, i am curious how well a Hackintosh, based on AMD Ryzen9 3950x, OSX 10.15, will do, hopefully the same ?

More updates, more wrong that needs fixing. :wink:

[/quote]

with or without an interface?
[/quote]

USB, Realtek onboard, or HDMI sound.
-Even with all 3 disabled, at any level of performance/power saving.

ya a MOBO is not something I want to update, that sounds like a recipe for computer out window.

After two months with Ryzen 3950x, all I can say is:
Thumbs up!

See my signature for system details.

Ps. BiOS updates are not scary. There are even mobos with dual BIOS support if you happen to have a power failure during upgrade. Never in my 25 years of using computers did I ever break a mobo because of an update. BIOS updates can be crucial, just read the Changelogs…

1 Like

ASIO4ALL Driver. http://www.asio4all.org/

That’s a bad idea. Apple doesn’t have any AMD CPU bases computers. OSX can be made to run on AMD, but an Intel based board is a much faster/safer bet.

If you only need Cubase, just get/build a proper Windows machine. If you really need MacOS and want a powerful machine, get a new Mac Pro.

Actually, mostly optimizing and adding to or improving the initialization procedure library (AGESA)

ASrock X570 Extreme4 BIOS Versions and info

• Version Description
    2.20 Update AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4 Patch B
    1.90 Update AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.3 ABBA
    1.70 1 Update AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.3 ABBA
    2 Improve Destiny2 gaming experience with Matisse CPU.
    1.60 Improve compatibility with DDR4-3000 or above memory.
    1.50 Optimize the SYS_FAN1 Setting
    1.40 Enhance Ryzen 9 CPU performance
    1.30 Update AMD AGESA Combo_AM4 PI 1.0.0.3
    1.10 First release.

I’ve been building my own computers since 1996 and have gone through over a dozen motherboards and have updated the BIOS on every one, often multiple times. Plus I’ve updated probably 30 or more computers at work. I’ve never had a single problem. The utilities provided make it pretty easy.

Àbout bios updates. I have done dozens but I did have one failed (without warning so did not boot anymore). But I managed to fix it by reflashing it on another (same) mobo, with the hotswap method: start working mobo in bios flash mode. remove bios chip, insert non working bios chip and flash.

Its not that flashing a new bios is scary, but the fact that the amd bios has that many bugs that it needs that many in a year.
Ok it provides compatibility between the am4 socket and the various incarnations of the Ryzen cpu, that accounts for some of the bios updates

X570 boards was released in july 2019. I have updated BIOS once on my Asus Prime board. I havent experienced any bugs, just updates for new memory and some efficiency updates. The 3950x was released in december 2019 so it would be strange if there was no bios updates available when a new CPU comes out.

Btw, the chipset fan on Asus Prime is very quiet. My system is almost completely silent. The most quiet computer I have built actually, very happy with it.
I also got rid of machenical disks, so that means less heat aswell (chassi fans can run on low RPM).
I cant hear if its on or off, have to check power LED before turning off the main power in the studio when leaving. :slight_smile:

yet :smiley:

you can install a Vanilla OSX majove or catalina on zen2 cpu’s. There’s actually hidden AMD instructions in the recent OSX code, so perhaps Apple might be thinking towards the future. Anyway all that to say that there are plenty of Ryzen Hackintoshes rendering video for pro users around already. Somw software needs tweaks, Adobe being one but if you search out on the web you’ll find the AMD instructions to install.

M

For those using a Ryzen9 3950X CPU, are there recommended tweaks that need doing in Windows and the bios?

Only that you should get fast memory, 3600 MHz or faster and be sure BIOS use it. Also if you use a gaming gfx card that runs in PCIE 4.0, set it to 3.0 instead or ot will hog the PCI bus.
In Windows 10 be sure to install chipset drivers with AMD Ryzen Scheduling (used in Power settings), do not use Steinbergs scheduling.