Crash Nightmare

might be worth Musicullum / Michael taking a look at those directories - and why they all ended up in the same directories - the xml files should tell them something

out of interest do you have a standard VST connect template to start new projects with - wonder if that makes VST connect ‘think’ it’s the same project ?

I’ll send a PM to both Michael and musi with the link to the directory.

I’ve run Procdump and have a crash dump file which I will send to Michael as requested. All I needed to do to make it crash was open the manager window of VSTConnect in the affected project and wait 5 seconds, not even ask to Get Local Files. Boom.

I do have a VSTConnect template as both guys run the same hardware and general setup but I don’[t always load it. I may have done on the two occasions in question however.

Thanks
Alan

I’m still having this problem. I am just managing to work with it by downloading the HD files using Teamviewer but sorting them out and putting them at the right places in the project is very time consuming. I usually get most of the takes.

Did Michael make anything of the dump files and the cpr file I sent?

The same project crashes Cubase every time I open the VST Connect Manager window.
Thanks
Alan

We did make some progress, thanks for the files. Hope to get the solution to you soon, unfortunately holidays and Corona make it hard to get it through testing.
The ‘consolidated’ folder is a bug, but it doesn’t do any harm.
Did you try “Get Local HD Files” already? Also, the files should have a timestamp so to place them, should you still need to do that manually.
As for multiple files in multiple folders, this can happen if you run various projects but use the same Cubase project. You should create a new Cubase project for each song and user.

When I open the ‘Manager’ tab Cubase crashes before I do anything else so ‘Get Local Files’ is not an option. I’ll look into the timestamp business though as currently I’m having to audition each file and work out where it fits in the project.

All songs do indeed have their own Cubase project file.

We are getting work done, which would otherwise be impossible these days, but sessions would be so much more productive without the issues.

Regards
Alan

Hi Alan,

thank you so much for your input, feedback and sharing your sessions. Sorry that I did not get back to you. So much to do. We could identify and fix some problems in your sessions. The crash-dump was also very helpful!

But a simple click to the Manager and it will crash? Hm. How can I reproduce this one? Was it the first click? Or do you open/close the Manager, open/close the editor and then? Could you please look to the folder …
C:\Users\YourName\Documents\Steinberg\CrashDumps
… and check if there are generated crash dumps when the Manager-crash happened?

Thank you,
Michael.

I had the same problem, as alanharvey:
Crash when i switch to the register “Manager” (with “Get HD Files” etc.).
And to musiculum: I had send my Crash Dump File to the Support in my Ticket (Start at 14.July!).

I remember, when i had a previous session with the performer weeks before, the register “Manager” in VST Connect Pro is empty - has no recorded files…
Now it looks, that the HD files CAN be download normally, but now it crashes every time, i switch to this register!
And thats the reason while i thought, that i have to “delete” this file entries…
But how can i do that?

Today i try ones more to “Get HD Files”, as musiculum describes in his post here.
So i start Cubase empty, start VST Connect Pro, NOT connected to any net and then switch to “Manager”, to get HD Files…
AND CRASH!
Again and again!

IMPORTANT NOTE:
I couln’t find any actual Crash Dump File after this last Crash today!
In Cubase Crash Dump Folder are only older one!
So i mean alanharvey wrote it correct: NO CRASHDUMP!

you can force a dmp file to be written if you use microsoft utility - details are further up this thread

Hello dr,
thanks!
I found it in C:\Users\DVance\AppData\Local\CrashDumps.
Cubase10.5.exe.17916.dmp

Before i looked only in
C:\Users\DVance\Documents\Steinberg\CrashDumps

Here are Cubase crashdumps too, but different i think…
:confused:

hi DVance

you should be able to attach the dump to your post (nothing on the post you posted earlier)

No promises (!) but the devs for vstconnect are very responsive and will probably take a look

Hi dr,
i’m not sure, if i understand your comment correctly…
But in my Ticket to the Hotline, i attached the last crashdump as an ZIP-File.
Nomally, the Hotline response quickly and helpfully every time.
But in my last Ticket, with the crash problems in VST Connect, which i start at 14. July, there comes no response until today.
Yes i know, we have the Covid19 problem and it seems they have much work around…
And i’m sure the answer will come soon…
Or a new update :slight_smile:

you have a better opinion of the hotline than I do !

if you post it here it’s possible the devs will take a look. Your call obviously :slight_smile:

I try to submit the crashdump. (98MB!)
But alway comes an Error: “File too long”
I try to submit as ZIP (12MB)
Also Error “File too long”
How does it works?

there is an email address if you read the thread :slight_smile:

Sorry dr,
i’m completely unknown in “communities”
(but not in computers:-))
What do you mean with “there is an email address…” and what is a “thread”??
(i’m german and my english isn’t complete)

Dvance

Hello dr,
i send you 2 crashdumps per mail.

not me, but cool - no guarantee of a reply of course :slight_smile:

Ah - ohhh…!!!
I send the files, without any explaines…
I thought this is your second account… (laughing)
Better i write som words to explaine…

I have this same problem - every time I try to go to the Manager page to get the HD files, Cubase crashes.