UR22 mkII - Audio dropouts problem

So…I think I found the cause
I spent 3 full days to investigate all the possibilities and I finally got it.

I explain:

Since the problem was observed only with power supply, I searched for a link with it. I put the quality of the alimentation hypothesis aside…to open mind!
I searched for set ups which are different from battery to power supply in the power management (advanced parameters)
I set up al the same for battery and power supply —> did not fix

BUT : I remarked that when I plugged the power supply, the frequency of CPU was more unstable and higher in the task manager, and actually it’s the cause, and this cause is named : Turbo BOOST
Lots of CPU have now this technology (It’s the case for those you have @Palt0quet @Budailaci, and mine) it can help sometimes when you need high CPU ressources, but it’s not essential.

So I checked with this software : HW monitor (Free and safe). It displays all the processors speeds, temperatures etc…

→ On battery : the speed of each core is capped to the basal frequency (for me 1.80 Ghz, more or less)
→ On power supply : The speed is capped to the maximum speed of turbo boost mode (for me 4.60 Ghz)

So I desactivated the Intel Turbo Boost. it can be done in the Bios for some PC, but not mine.

There are other possibilities for turning off, including set up the maximum CPU utilisation at 99 % in the power management. Follow this link for several ways to turn off Turbo boost:

NB : Depending on your version of windows update, some power options may be hidden, so just follow this link:

And after 3 hours of music on my computer (switching Turbo boost on and off to see the difference) : It’s OK It’s definitely the cause, at least for this kind of problem i.e: USB dropouts at 44.1 KHz, until 176.4 KHz, and not at 192 KHz, when the power supply is plugged

Important: Sometimes, we are experimenting other dropouts which are due to bad plugins, too much resources needed, bad buffer etc… those dropouts are differents and it makes the analysis of the root cause more difficult.
This solution is fixing one of the cause of dropouts, but one main cause !

Please try to switch off your Turbo boost and keep me informed, i hope that it will work for all of you guys!

I’m transferring directly the information to Steinberg in my opened ticket. Maybe they will find a solution to adapt the device drivers to this issue.
I’m also in contact with Asus for explaining the problem.

Have nice “stay at home” music sessions and take care !

3 Likes