Inserting a note changes previous notes?

I honestly do not understand this sentence. “I expected it to do A, but when I click it does A ???”

In essence, it’s like seeing my cursor in vi some|where (| being the cursor) within the word, but when I start typing it would start after “so” due to my “word grid” set to two characters. Hmmm. > :confused: >

No, the orange grid is telling you that your cursor was at so|mewhere

Ideally, when I click insert between two notes, I want to be exactly at the point between the two notes, no?

And what point would that be if you click between two dotted quarter notes? A dotted eighth note on the 3rd 16th? Or what would you do if you want the note not halfway but on any other specific division between those two notes?

Also bear in mind, that the optical scale in notation does not exactly represent the metrical scale of the music represented in the notation. See the attached image:

The selected note is rhythmically exactly between beats 2 and 3, but because of the smaller note values and the additional space needed for the accidentals the second half of the beat takes up much more room, so the optical position of that note is only at 1/3 of the beat length.

For that reason a piano-roll overlay as you imagine it is not possible because the distance between the lines would never be twice the same. The rhythmic grid you see when in note entry mode is the closest you can get.