Is 34” widescreen 1440x1080 okay

I just got a 3440 x 1440 today actually. I’m going to check how both Nuendo and Pro Tools feels on it tomorrow. But right away I would say that the aspect ratio doesn’t really seem all that convenient. For example, at 21:9 which is what 3440x1440 is you’ll find movies. My old monitor is 1920x1200. So a movie that is shot and mastered as widescreen 21:9 (more or less) will get bards top/bottom on my old computer and will be pretty small, but will fill the entire screen on this new one. If you get the 3440 x 1080 the I would expect the sides to get bars and it wouldn’t fill the entire width of the screen. It may seem like a thing that doesn’t matter, but I’m guessing the price difference between the two isn’t that huge so even just for this it might be worth it.

Also check out the actual size of the display. For example, I didn’t realize that the 1440 vertical pixels fit inside the same physical distance on the new display as the 1200 do on the old. So stuff like text etc feels “squashed” right now. I’ll get used to it of course, and I can scale up things if I need to. But I think it’s worth thinking about this a bit because the display/screen size is one thing and the monitor size another.

Anyway, if I’m not keeping this screen then I’ll for sure switch it out for a 4k 30 inch display instead. In that case it’ll be a 3840 x 2160 screen. That one should be taller but also fit more pixels vertically. More narrow of course.

Anyway, if there’s something particular you want me to check let me know and I’ll do that tomorrow or this weekend…

cheers…