extensive sound library expression maps vs. just using Note Performer (opinions sought!)

As a hobbyist, this statement captures something important for me.

Although I want to render in real-life the best audio representation I can make of my ideas and their development, when it comes down to it I need only please myself in the hopes that it will please others. There is quite a gulf between me and practicing or aspiring professionals, who must please those who would pay for their services.

Of course Dorico is a professional software that must please professionals in order to flourish. Professionals are not only paying customers but also influencers. Also, many hobbyists, most much younger than myself, have hopes of eventually becoming professionals. But there are also plenty of long-term hobbyists in this customer base.

If I were a working professional I have not doubt I would be invested in the pursuit of the ideal. As it is I am invested in the pursuit of the best work I can achieve with my talent and resources. It need only be enought that, when I hear it back, I say to myself, “That’s good!”

The upshot is that Dorico must aspire to satisfy the professional, because the more serioius hobbyist wants, if possible, to work with the best tools available. They hear what professionals do, and they want to emulate it.