Nuendo and Cubase should have menus in alphabetical order

I develop my muscle memory by learning to NOT use menus, but shortcuts instead. Clicking in a menu = 3s, a shortcut = 0,1s. I’m waiting for you at the coffee machine !

Please SB, never change for alphabetical menus.

If you “do NOT use menus, but use shortcuts instead”, how can an alphabetical menu possibly inconvenience you?

If your muscle memory can’t deal with an alphabetical menu you may need more coffee.

I’m pretty much fine with the way things are now. It would be a net loss for me to relearn where things are. I don’t see the point in that.

The alphabet is one of the greatest inventions ever… just saying :wink:

You are right, not everyone has enough IQ to read an alphabetical list.

Exactly.

I’m not 100% sure exactly what it is I said here that warrants that response.

It’s not you. I’ve noticed he can be a little testy now and then.

I’ll need more coffee because I don’t give shortcuts to features I rarely use. But if the menus are alphabetically sorted, they will not be sorted the same way in English and French. And I use use Nuendo in both languages. It should be a nightmare when I need those features.

You could say something useful now and then.
A menu with 60 to 80 items, minimally divided in 2 o3 hierarchies alphabetical,
makes finding functions much faster, and muscle memory is allocated in a consistent manner.
Agreement or disagreement or constructive criticism are welcome.

At what point in any discussion are you trying to be helpful or constructive by commenting on other people’s IQ being low if they disagree with your proposal?

That’s a serious question. Do you have an answer?

60 to 80? That’s a lot of scrolling vertically to select items.

Not sure I understand the idea of talking about muscle memory and having things alphabetically at the same time. Once your muscles learn where items are then it won’t matter if things are alphabetically anyway. And in order to do so you have to access the items a fair amount. So conversely speaking one could argue that the items that one does not learn aren’t that important to find quickly because one doesn’t do that that often, and we know that because if one did we’d learn to find them by “muscle memory”.

And like I said, I don’t see how it’s a net positive for established users to relearn where items are in reorganized menus. I’ve already learned where things are. Why relearn if I don’t have to? Do I save more time than I lose? I doubt it.

If questioning my intelligence as a response to my disagreement (with a ‘constructive’ reason for my disagreement) = “welcome” I’d hate to see what “unwelcome” looks like.

I’ve been in this forum from the beginning, and I see that you have 4228 posts and some are helpful, but many are “pis*ing” contests
with other Steinberg users here.
I started this thread about alphabetical menus because many modern software has it, including other DAWs, and it speeds work flow.
My response was because you said it’s hard to follow an alphabetical menu.

You started a thread about alphabetical ordering of menus. I responded with how I felt about that, just like other people did. You made it personal, not me.

Fredo didn’t care for the idea. Erik called it “daft”. Jean-Michel agreed as well.

I didn’t say it was “hard to follow”. I pretty much said that it’s time consuming to relearn where things are. That doesn’t equal “hard to follow”.

But whatever. You made a statement. I and others disagreed. You then made it personal. Not sure if it’s a part of the broader virus-induced climate or whatnot but I’ll just ignore you from now on and you can do the same; deal? That should solve any issues you have with my posts being disagreeable… and vice versa…

It appears you do not have an answer to my question.

Put it to rest guys …

Fredo

I agree.

Question answered. I will do so, Fredo.

This is what I had in mind when I started this thread:

This is an actual Steinberg Nuendo Menu:

Undo
Redo
History
Cut
Copy
Paste
Delete
Functions
Render in Place
Range
Select
Quantize
Reset Quantize
Rename Objects
Rename Events From List
Move to
Group
Ungroup
Lock
Unlock
Mute
Unmute
Glue
Automation Follow Events
Auto Select Events Under Cursor
Enlarge Selected Track
Zoom
Macros
Profile Manager
Key Commands
Preferences

Steinberg Menu Organized Alphabetically:

Automation Follow Events
Auto Select Events Under Cursor
Cut
Copy
Delete
Enlarge Selected Track
Functions
Glue
Group
History
Key Commands
Lock
Macros
Move to
Mute
Paste
Preferences
Profile Manager
Quantize
Range
Redo
Rename Objects
Rename Events From List
Render in Place
Reset Quantize
Select
Undo
Ungroup
Unlock
Unmute
Zoom

Editing would become faster with the Organized Menu regardless if is for
beginners and Pros alike.
These are Menus with more than 40 items, more than 60 with the sub menus,
that have been growing, and will grow even larger with time, and we may get more Menus.
I would never get lost or waist time in the second menu above.

Muscle memory required for the Organized Menu is close to zero, because all you need
to know is the alphabet. So I cannot possibly prefer the first Menu, even though I use it everyday.
Of course many will be shortcuts, but many will not, and you still need to search through the Menu.

Other DAWs that I’ve tried are alphabetical, and it immediately helps at all levels.

The best quote from this whole thread goes to Carvin Man that said:
“The alphabet is one of the greatest inventions ever… just saying :wink: