Performance and CPU bottleneck

Latency depends on what I’m doing. Don’t have the need for very low latency most of the time - and with over 40 VSTi’s running - don’t think it’s possible to get a low latency. With large projects like that I’m running at 2048. But where I need low latency I’ll bounce to stereo and then go to around 128 buffer - unless it’s a new project so can start out on a low buffer.

What I have discovered - is due to the requirement of CPU0 doing a higher percentage of the work, I’ve overclocked my CPU0 to 5Ghz - and that has made a massive difference and running other cores at 4.6.

For anyone that’s comfortable in overclocking - I’d highly recommend this if your hitting this problem - and the easy way to see is just check your CPU performance - if CPU0 is at 100% - but you have overhead on the other Core’s look to overclock CPU0. I think the more core’s you have, to get the most out of it, the difference between CP0 and the rest should be bigger. I’m running at around 11% difference between CPU0 and the rest - but got loads of headroom on the others.

Obviously only overclock if you know what your doing - AND - have good CPU cooling, but if you’ve got a good multi-core CPU - it makes sense to get the most out of it. I also don’t run my CPU overclocked all the time - I’ll change the speed depending on what I’m doing - if I haven’t got cubase running I’ll underclock it down to 2GHz - which all helps towards the life of the CPU. Don’t see the point in having it run fast all the time - plus is saves on electricity doing so.

It also makes sense that overclocking just Core 0 to the max - won’t cause the whole CPU to over heat as much - so this is definitely optimizing the CPU to get the most out of it for Cubase.