extensive sound library expression maps vs. just using Note Performer (opinions sought!)

As I continue my post-3.5 efforts to finally implement VSL in Dorico, I find myself listening to the results with satisfaction in what I have accomplished so far. But the effort is daunting and the results, though the quality of the instrument sounds is better than Noteperformer, are in some ways a step back.

I simply have to compose in notation, but I’m beginning consider whether the best solution for me might be to have Dorico with Noteperformer for experimentation and composition on my left display and Cubase on my right for a better audition. Notes on the left, play it in on the right. Make a change on the left, make a change on the right. This way I’m not fighting Dorico to make it a DAW, and I’m not lost compositionally in Cubase’s piano roll environment.

Many others have expressed the strong desire for more integration between Dorico and Cubase. To me the idea of transferring MIDI or XML files assumes one is the kind of composer who hears everything and just notates it. That’s not me. I have to try an initial idea in notation, then audition it, then make changes because what I hear is not quite what I want. It’s a constant, repetitive cycle for me.

Perhaps for me the solution is not export and import, it’s a simultaneous process with both Dorico and Cubase at the same time, using each for it’s strengths.

I have no idea if this would work, but I’m thinking about it. I left Cubase behind with version 9.5, but 10 introduced high-res support, and since I now have two 4k displays that are identical (I didn’t have a single one three months ago) I might want to upgrade if I decide to try it out.

Comments appreciated.