MIDI Routing!!!

Should Steinberg add a Midi routing matrix to make it a more intuitive and useful DAW?

• Yes
  • No
  • I’d like something different than a routing matrix

0 voters

So… As someone who has recently made the jump into iOS/iPad music creating, I’ve discovered how inherently and overtly limited most desktop DAWs are (ESPECIALLY Cubase) when it comes to MIDI routing. Not only is MIDI routing in certain apps simple and straightforward, it puts the routing in more polished and mainstream DAWs that have been around for decades to absolute shame. And it’s not even close.
Take for example, AUM. A very simple yet effective mixing/routing app for iOS. Not only does it give you the routing options you need in a nonsensical way, it also presents something that has been around forever but is rarely if ever utilized by most full fledged DAWs on far more powerful machines: a midi/audio routing Matrix. (Pictured below)

For the life of me, I can’t figure out why this simple—but extremely easy to understand and use—feature has not already been implemented into a DAW like Cubase.
The only DAW that has flexible midi routing IMO is Ableton Live.
So I wrote all that to say: I’d really love it if Steinberg would SERIOUSLY listen and make their DAW far superior by implementing a midi routing matrix like the one seen in AUM. If a little app like AUM can make this happen, surely you folks can too with your much more massive budgets and access to coders and programmers. Not doing so would be saying you don’t think it’s necessary and would be neglecting people like me the ability to push the music making experience in Cubase to a much better, simpler place.

Some of us are still waiting for MIDI sends on instrument tracks (waiting for many years now), so I don’t have a whole lot of optimism we’ll be seeing any enhancements in this area any time soon.

However, this does look most intriguing. Obviously, whatever implementation of something like this would need to be backward compatible, but off the top of my head, I can’t see any reason a MIDI routing matrix would break existing routing schemes.