project title

Hi. When I open a score I get the name of the file as the name of the piece of music. So how do I change the title of the piece of music I am working on, and will that also appear in the individual parts.?

Thanks

Do you mean the title is e.g. “Untitled Project 1”? If so, you can add all the relevant information like title, composer, arranger etc in the Project Info dialog.

the title of the piece is determined in the File → Project Into dialogue (unless it’s different with a Mac). That will appear in the parts as well.

AH, simultaneous posts!

Hi.
Many thanks for the quick reply.

Take Care… Stay Safe…

Hi.
Thanks for the information.
When I open the info dialogue I can input the name of the piece and then when I put a sub heading in and return to the music, I get the main title and the subheading are the same. So the main heading should be the name of the piece. eg Symphonie 4 and the sub heading should be 2nd movement allegro.

So how do I get the subheading to work?

Regards

Can you share a picture of what you’re seeing, or perhaps a .zip file of your project? When you say subheading, do you mean the bit below the project title that appears as “1. Flow 1” in a new project? If so, that’s called a flow heading - by default, it shows the flow number (e.g. "1. ") and the flow title of that flow. It does this using tokens.

You can change flow titles in Project Info too - just select the relevant flow in the list on the left, and amend the details on the right as necessary.

Hi.
I think that i don’t get the idea of the flow. Where is the flow on the left of the screen?
You can see that the title should be Serenade and underneath that I want a subtitle of 2 Minuet or II Minuet. This should be on the score and the parts.

Thanks for your help.

The bit of your page that I’ve highlighted in green is governed by what’s on the First Master Page. You can edit the tokens that appear here from the Master Page Editor.

The section of your page that I’ve highlighted in yellow is a Flow Heading. You can edit what appears in Flow Headings from the Flow Headings Editor.

From Layout Options > Page Setup > Flows, you can tell Dorico where to use the First Master Page (if at all), and where to show Flow Headings (if at all).

By default, the tokens at the top of the First Master Page show the {@ProjectTitle@} token, the {@ProjectLyricist@} token (if the project has a lyricist) and the {@ProjectComposer@} token. The default Flow Heading shows the {@FlowNumber@} token followed by the {@FlowTitle@} token. In your case one approach would be to turn off Flow Headings, from Layout Options > Page Setup > Flows, then to switch to the Master Page Editor and edit the First Master Page, inserting the {@ProjectSubtitle@} token underneath the existing {@ProjectTitle@} token. That way, when you go to Project Info, select the Project in the left panel and then type something into the Subtitle field, it will appear on the page under the title.

Here’s an annotated version of your screenshot of the Project Info dialog - what you’ve input into the Subtitle field is what you should (could*) instead put into the Title field for the flow, which I’ve circled in yellow. That’s what I meant about “on the left” of this dialog.

You can have any number of flows in a single project - each flow can have its own title, with a different composer etc as well if necessary. The Project Info dialog is where you manage all this information: the first entry in the list on the left of the dialog is the project as a whole (e.g. “Symphony No.1”), and then below it is the separate flows (e.g. “Mvt I: Allegro”). When you click a different flow on the left, the information on the right updates to show you what’s set for the selected flow.

(* as Leo has said, you can instead leave the subtitle where it is, and just use the token {@projectsubtitle@} to show it wherever you want in a text frame. There are often different ways you can achieve the result you want. But if you want to use the automatic flow heading that gets shown at the top of the flow, I recommend using the Title field for the flow.)

Hi.

Thanks for staying with me here.
I am getting closer. The score is now Ok, but when I go to print, the individual parts are still wrong.

You possibly have page overrides in the parts, if you’ve done edits to the text frames directly in each part. When you override an individual page, Dorico doesn’t update that page if you make subsequent changes, e.g. to the master page.

Switch to Engrave mode, open up each part in turn in the music area in the middle, and see if there are any red triangles on the first page in the panel on the right of the window. If there are, remove the overrides.

By default, Score layouts use one set of master pages (Default Full Score) and Part layouts use another set of master pages (Default Part). You will need to make your master page edits twice.

Choices made in Layout Options are layout-specific. You may have only edited the layout options for your Score layout. Go into Layout Options, select the relevant set of layouts in the right panel (there are buttons at the bottom for selecting all Part layouts, or all Score layouts, or you can Shift-click a contiguous selection of layouts or Cmd/Ctrl-click non-contiguous layouts), and then change whatever options, then Apply and Close.

Ah yes of course Leo, that makes much more sense if Piccolo has switched to using the subtitle token!

Hello Lillie and Leo

I think it has taken me longer to put the title on the page than it did to make the arrangement…
But I have now got what I wanted except that I cannot get the parts to say who the arranger is after it says who the composer is. I feel this should be on a second line underneath the composers name. I am not completely sure how I did this, I will only really know when I try to rename the first movement. I realised that all the projects I have done so far have all been stand alone and not consisting of several movements, so the need for subtitles has not cropped up before. I suppose that I am surprised that I cannot type into project info and the information would run through all the score and parts. There must obviously be a reason why Dorico has done it this way.
So the old saying is “It’s easy when you know how…”

Many thanks for taking the time to help me with this.

Regards

Piccolo

Dear Piccolo,
If you want the arranger to appear below the composer in the parts, you’ll need to change your parts first masterpage. By default, only project title, lyricist, composer appear. You’ll need to add {@projectarranger@} below {@projectcomposer@} and make sure the text frame is high enough to fit those informations. Hope it helps!

Hi Piccolo, Marc is right - information like the composer or arranger only appears if it’s “called up” by the corresponding token. You can edit master pages to include whatever tokens and frames you like.

(On a side note, it will probably be easier for you to find the relevant information if you think of “flow headings” rather than subtitles, when you’re talking about the titles of flows within a project, like Movement 1 or Movement 2. This is because in Project Info, the project itself and each flow has a subtitle field that is separate from the title field, and also flow headings have a feature in Dorico that allows the title of each flow to appear above the start of the flow, including in the middle of a page.)

Of course, nothing beats knowledge and experience when getting results a user expects. I struggled a little at first with the terminology and inter-workings of part layouts, score layouts, and the myriad of choices one can make. (Not complaining about choices, mind you - because that equals power!). I think it would be a very cool thing if pre-set “templates” could be picked from that visually show Thumbnails that can be clicked on, for instance, Title, Flow, Composer / Title, Flow, Composer, Arranger / Title, Subtitle, Composer / Title, Flow without Flow Number, Composer / etc. etc. This would not replace having a good working knowledge of how things work in the background, but would certainly help new users get results quickly.

EDIT - And if the user picked a “Template” that didn’t have the information added for the token, the program could prompt for the input and place it in the relevant places.

I’m a little confused by the token protocols here. ELEMENTS version please for comments!

I’m trying to compile a songbook. Each flow is a song. The flow title is the song title. I do not want the project title on each flow page, so I replaced the {@ProjectTitle@} with {@FlowTitle@} - but it does not appear on the page. It’s blank.

I would like to find a simple solution to setting up a project with multiple flows - each a separate song - so that when I export PDF for importing into an ePub or printed songbook I just have each song with Title, credits etc. At the moment even adding {@FlowSubtitle@} doesn’t seem to give me the options I need.

ALSO - I can’t find a way to move the tokens on the page - I’m guessing this is a limitation of Elements? My workaround would be to use the Flow title token and delete the Project title token - but I’d need to move the flow title up - that’s why I changed the project title token in situ - thinking it would replace project title. I’ve tried resizing the font but it still won’t appear.
Advice gratefully received.

Really you need the greater power provided by Dorico Pro to make these kinds of formatting choices, at least at the moment. One possibility might be to grab a 30-day trial version of Dorico Pro and set up your master pages etc. in that; when the trial expires, you’ll go back to Elements again. There will also be an opportunity before the end of the calendar year (though not for a while) to buy the upgrade from Elements to Pro at a discounted rate, so that might be something else to consider.

Just in relation to the flow title token not appearing when you replace the project title token with it - I think that might be because your layout options are set to hide certain information above flow headings, and if you’re showing the flow heading at the top of the music frame, the token in the text frames above will be affected by that option.