Logic Editor To Color Events/Clips/Tracks

It would be nice to randomize the color of existing tracks or by increment or decrement a color number ( of course with wrap around). Currently, the Set Color parameter in PLE can only be set to a fixed value.

Sample Use cases: Say you split a clip into many pieces and you like the neighboring clips/event have different colors for visibility. also having more control over automatic track coloring.

If this is too hard, developers can add “color picker” to "add track dialog window.

Please vote!
+1

1 Like

What would be the purpose of this, just curious?

Thank you for the question. Please see the updated OP.

You could create a Macro/PLE combo script that could do this, although maybe not randomly.

May you create & share it, please?

I tried KC, there are only three color related items none of which can color automatically ( just color 1).

Yeah, I’m pretty sure the random part is what you can’t do. I have a bunch of PLE Presets to color Tracks/Events/Parts but they are all to specific colors. As chikitn points out the only option for Colors is to “set to fixed value”

The only potential approach I can think of is to have a bunch Presets to set to specific colors and then to use a Macro to apply them to different Events. Does the color really need to be “random” or is “different” all that’s required? If you had say a series of 10 Colors where each Event got the next Color and then it repeats in the same order, might that work?

I get the idea. In -my- dream world, every time I create a track with the word ‘key’ in the name it would be blue. And yellow for ‘drum’ and grey for ‘vox’, etc. One spends a surprising amount of time on ‘housekeeping’ and ways should be found to automate the look of a project as it grows.

You can do this in a single key press

If you give each color a unique descriptive name (Drums, Kick, Snare, Strings, Viola, Synth Pad, etc.) you can do stuff in the PLE based on those names. Basically you can use the color names as a text tag you can associate with a Track.

I’ve got it setup to Show/Hide all Guitars, or Drums & Percussion, etc.

Yes, gentlemen… you can do those things. But it’s clunky. There should be some sort of ‘intelligence’ or ‘template’ deal where all the settings are automagically created when you create the track. :slight_smile: