Inserting a note changes previous notes?

See, that is a problem.

I don’t want my text editor to be smart and change a sentence to be grammatically correct while I’m typing, making an entirely different meaning out of it. And no text editor is that agressive. Actually plenty of us find text editors way too much agressive (with styles and everything) and we are turning to markdown where we have complete control.

Yet, notation software (not just Dorico) builds on musical grammar first and prohibits any grammatically incorrect music to exist at any given time. Yes, that works really well from the implementation point of view, but it’s an utter rubbish when it comes to user experience. I just want notation sw to be my pen and paper, and if it can highlight the grammatical errors and PROPOSE the corrections, that’s mighty splendid.

But if I’m entering notes without even a time signature and software changes what I never told it to change in order for my notes to fit some kind of “rhythmic grid” (again, I did not even have bars in place yet!), that is a problem. And if the documentation doesn’t explain why and how the software might change notes before the deleted note, that is even a bigger problem.

But THE biggest problem is the devs pulling Steve Jobs on users “ur holding it wrong”. Again, it’s not just Dorico, it’s all over the place. MuseScore is a great example, but to their credit it’s free so they can do whatever they like, it’s their hobby after all.

So no, if I’m in insert mode, I want to insert there and then. I might understand that notes after the current note will need to be pushed forward, I mean that’s what insert is all about, right? But I refuse to accept that inserting a note would affect the notes before the insertion point. That’s a bug. Could be a design bug, could be hard to fix bug, but it’s a bug.