Problems with the latest Windows 10 update

Tom

Note that most of those methods are simply “delaying” updates - not disabling. And for Windows 10 v2004 - those panels and the controls available to the user has changed - some items that were quite handy for deferring updates are now gone. See here:

The only way that I have found to completely ensure a machine is never updated - like ever - is to set up WSUS (Windows Server Update Services) and manually manage each and every update that is ever released - including the big feature updates (like Win 10 v1909->v2004). Over here - I could literally run on a version of Windows 10 forever without ever applying an update. This setup is more for broad computer management where I want top ensure nothing slips in undetected.

Of course - you could also shut down the Windows Update service on the PC - but that will quickly become a battle between you and Microsoft. A workstation needs to get updates over it’s serviceable lifespan - but I agree that the big “feature” updates should be treated differently.

Over here - when I am good and ready to move to a “big” feature update - I always do them manually - I never allow these big giant complete OS changeouts (like a v1909->v2004) to upgrade in place. There are too many weird scenarios that end causing pain later.

A fresh OS install has always served me well.

Cheers

VP