Windows vs Mac Cubase and Steinberg hardware

Hi - I went the other way! From windows to Mac…
In my experience, Win 10 is basically as reliable as Mac OS for music, however Windows doesn’t handle MIDI as well as Mac OS. On Mac, you can plug in a MIDI device and it will just be recognised by the application, on Windows you need to restart the app before the device is available. Also on Mac you can have more than one MIDI app open at the same time, not so on Windows. As an example, I have an editor/librarian for my Moog Sub Phatty, on Mac I can run it and Cubase at the same time. Also on Windows, that editor requires two MIDI connections, one for note data and one for the editor itself. I have a Roli block controller which works via Bluetooth MIDI on Mac, but needs a wired connection for my PC.

However I am not a Mac fanboy, these MIDI quirks may not affect you in any way depending on your setup. I would only recommend a Mac if you need a mobile solution as windows laptops can be a bit hit and miss for music. If you want a desktop, Windows gives much better bang for buck.

It’s worth saying that it’s a good idea to optimise a Windows machine for music recording to get the best performance, many guides are available on the internet.