Key Commands Overview as HTML Page

Hi,
just for fun I’ve written a small single-page HTML app which can load Cubase’s “Key Commands.xml” and display it as nice table which you can then print or export or whatever.

Tested with Firefox and Chrome. No idea whether it is useful for anyone (or even me). Sadly it is not possible to use localized descriptions, just the english ones…

I moved my Cubase stuff (including some drum maps) to a github repo:

Here is a direct link to the KeyCommands.html app:
https://janminor.github.io/cubase/CubaseKeyCommands.html
Click on the “open file…” button, locate the “Key Commands.xml” file on your hard drive, on Windows it’s in “%APPDATA%\Steinberg\Cubase 10.5_64”(or the respective version, e.g. “9.5_64”). On a Mac, look in “/Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/[program name]/”.

And here the GenericRemote.html app:
https://janminor.github.io/cubase/CubaseGenericRemote.html
You first need to export the config you want from the “Generic Remote” Dialog in Cubase to an xml file and then open that in the web page.

8 Likes

Useful stuff. Thanks so much, Fese!

Hey…sweet!
Thanks, Fese

Excellent! And totally useful.

There is a perl or vbs key commands parser somewhere in the forum that a lot of work went into years back, but this is very nice- simple to use, and just one file. Thanks!

I’ll sticky it.

Awesome! – Thank you!!! :smiley:

Q. Could the same sort of thing be done for Generic Remote?

Thanks. Besides being super useful, it looks great too!

Thanks. This is very useful for me!

Now that I have some kind of “framework”, it’s mostly a matter of writing the fitting XSL and make some nice HTML from it, so yes, should be doable.
Question is: what information do you want from the generic remote table? The upper table, the lower? Every field? What would be the useful information?

Thanks again for the excellent key commands utility.

As far as GR goes. Ideally, it would be Each Bank or perhaps selected banks of the GR. The Lower Table would be most useful for me. The reason this would help me is that I have to remember all my assignments and having a print out would help that process. Also reading the tiny GR editor text is annoying and having a print out or better screen would help.

Would it be possible for the page to remember the path to the XML file & column number settings? Unless you are moving to a new computer and/or monitor setup these are not likely to change.

Just do a “save as” and “save as complete web page”. works in Chrome and Firefox.

Would this be OK?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BQnzZ7iHxYnfOf8t_ioO5PwJYWvIfKod

I just let it output every information that is there. You could always copy and paste sections into Word or something…
You need an exported XML file from the “Studio Setup->Generic Remote” Dialog.
It also works with exported Quick Control XML files.

Fantastic. The general layout was very helpful. I was able to audit my GR settings with much greater ease. There seem to be some value errors in the output, some MIDI channels are reported as -1 and -2, but that seemed more an XML or HTML issue, the values in the actual GR are correct in the MIDI Channel Column.

With the easy readability of the output document, I was able to identify some questions and perhaps some errors in my GR set-up. For me, GR is a work in progress. There also seem to be some issues with it. At times it seem to have to “wake up” on my system before it begins to work. At other times, if I Rename a Bank, the text becomes garbled and I’m not sure what happens – I just noticed this. I’ll leave those issues and questions for a separate posts.

Thanks so much for both of these utilities. It’s very generous of you to take the time to post this for us. I wish I’d had this years ago! :smiley:

Add me to the list. Thanks for taking the time to do this, Fese!

Doesn’t work in either Firefox, Chrome, or Edge. Hopefully, I haven’t just double clicked an exploit.

I have tested it in all three of those browsers, plus Opera. It’s working.

Of course there is no exploit contained in this file. As you can see several people have downloaded and used it.

It’s a basic utility to format the XML output using a style sheet – I think? The code is all there on the page and any suspicious code would likely be flagged by virus and firewall utilities. I’ve used it in FF and other browsers without issue.

Thanks again to the OP for posting this for us.

Indeed, that’s right. Any user can open the html file and inspect the code on their own.

Aye, but that way lies madness.