Separate folder for ".bak" files

+1

for sure a nice to have!

1 Like

+1

+1 - great idea that would make keeping the project tidy much easier.

1 Like

+1
Backing stuff up needs an overhaul. It should be as easy as saving a project with a key command. Cubase should remember the location so when we use the ‘Back up project’ key command it’s just done. Having to navigate to the backup folder every time is slow.
If anyone could tell me what is with the ‘This folder should be empty’ thing. I tried backing something up into the same folder twice and it wouldn’t let me.

Perhaps if it were an option, but I often back up to a new folder many times for each project.

I work with mac.
The main problem I have with bak files is that when I open the project folder, I have several bak files ast the top of the folder, and the cpr file is below the bak files.
As the computer orders the file alphabetically, cpr file is always the last file, after the bak files.

That’s a non-sense order, of course, because the main file is located at the end. It’s tedy job always go with key board to the last one.

So a dedicated folder for bak files is a good solution.

Also it could be a solution (for me) to change the extenxion from .bak to.xbak
This change would make that cpr is at the top of the list of files inside the project fodler.

You have an OS hotkey to cue the current open folder search

wich one??

on pc it’s ctrl+f or F3

+1

I would like to add an additional suggestion to this. Make it so that if there is no backup folder when CB needs it, one is created automatically. That way, we could just delete the folder in a single operation without worrying about future consequences.

+1

Great and necessary ideas to keep projects more organized.

Great Idea! +1

Agree 100%

+1

Found a workaround, which works quite OK for a similar purpose:

“Saved Windows Search”. It is a Windows Explorer functionality.

How to:

• Open Explorer window in project directory, where all the file are, which have the extension .cpr .bak .npr and also many folders.

• Enter search criteria in top right corner of Explorer window and execute: E.g. *.cpr for Cubase (or *.npr for Nuendo or *.?pr for both)
    (You will see only files with this extension)

• Push the Explorer button “Save Search”. The button is not always directly visible. So you might have to search for it.

• This button saves the search as a file with the extension .search-ms. Usually it is in the folder “Searches” within your “USER” folder.
    (It is possible, that the folder differs between Windows 7 and Windows 10.)

• Then copy this file e.g. onto your desktop and rename as you like. The file extension has to be kept.

• Now just double click this file and it will open an Explorer window only showing Cubase and/or Nuendo project files. Folders and .bak files are not shown.

Details on the HowTo can be found here: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/5316/how-to-save-searches-in-windows-7/

Perhaps this workaround gives you some relief. :wink:

LG, Juergi

1 Like

+1

While you all wait for this feature to be implemented, you might want to take a look at this

OK, I think that thread is about something a little different. I have been assuming here that we are talking about a Backup directory placed where the backup files are currently placed and having backup files now placed one level down in that new directory. I would certainly not want to see the backups saved anywhere outside the project. The backup files would definitely still be strongly associated with the project, but now simply grouped in their own folder.

Yes, that’s exactly what has been requested for many years (and also in the linked thread). But until that is implemented, if ever, both the .cpr and .bak files are stored in the same folder. This makes it hard to find the .cpr needle in the .bak haystack. That is how things currently stand. Within that existing environment using the grouping features in the OS improves the ability to visually separate the two types of files. Or folks can continue looking for needles in haystacks if they prefer.

The topic of backups always seems to generate some confusion in these forums because the word "backup’ is used in two similar but unrelated contexts. One is the periodic automatic saving of the Project as a .bak file. The other context is when using the Backup Project feature, which is more like ‘create a brand new project based on this one’ than a true backup where you archive something that you can restore later if needed. This last kind of true backup is best done at the OS level using system backup tools.

Cant be so difficult for Steinberg to create an option in preferences where users can determine where backups are stored. Every other app in the world I know off, lets users choose storage locations. I am sure it will come. The way it stands now, it will only tempt users (like me) to turn of the feature alltogether, just to get rid of the clutter in the main project window, and that really defeats the whole purpose of backups, doesnt it? So a tip to Steinberg, just create a new option and we won’t have to discuss this matter in the future anymore. Case closed (;

1 Like